add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

3rd gen ryzen

ruslanamruddin
  • 11 months ago

should i wait for the 3rd gen ryzen cpus? I only have about $250 to use on a new cpu and I don't want to wait too long, kind of want to just buy the ryzen 2600X. Is the 3rd gen ryzen worth enough to wait for?

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 5 points

I only have about $250 to use on a new cpu

Keep in mind, the platform costs for a compatible motherboard at the launch of the 3000 series will very likely be higher, depending on what motherboard you were planning to use for a 2000 series chip.. This may change the actual budget.

With that being said, what's this build for? If for gaming (like 97% of builds on here), waiting for the 3600 or 3600X is likely a good idea, as there is apt to be some performance uplift for these workloads, and I would also point out the i5-9400F as a very cost effective alternative that tends to run games better than a 2600X.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

good point.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah it is for gaming, thanks!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

it's the i5-9400F or one of the new AMD CPUs for my gaming build, so I am waiting for the July 7th to see where the value is.

Do you think the new Ryzen CPUs will affect Intel CPU prices much? Or is it going to affect mainly the older Ryzens?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think 3rd gen will impact CPU prices in the market much at all. The new products coming are being priced into an existing hierarchy, rather than coming to disrupt that hierarchy.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

quoted text - the platform costs for a compatible motherboard at the launch of the 3000 series will very likely be higher

Most users won't need PCIe 4.0 for some time yet. The 400 series boards will still be a perfectly viable option for budget buyers. A decent B450 board combined with a 3600 should be a solid option as long the 3000 series lives up to the hype, which I think it will. AMD already announced officially that other than PCIe 4.0, the performance of the new processors will be identical on older compatible motherboards. All performance enhancements will work.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Most users have an expectation that their CPU work with their motherboard out of the box.

There's no way to assure that sort of compatibility out of the box with motherboard stock at vendors that could easily have pre-3000 ready BIOS's on it.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD already announced officially that other than PCIe 4.0, the performance of the new processors will be identical on older compatible motherboards. All performance enhancements will work.

They stated they would work but have not confirmed that all the enhancements will work.

So they will likely be limited to only the multi core boost of PB2 the same as current, and not the extra single core boost added to 3000.

It is the same with 2000 series on 300 series boards without the ability to communicate with the PWM controller to see how much headroom is left within the VRM 2000 series chips don't boost as well on 300 series boards even though they work.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

XFR & memory control are built into the CPU, not the motherboard. Tests consistently show 2nd gen performs the same on first gen boards. Linked is one of a number of things I've run across in the past. Lots of Reddit threads with people running 2nd gen on 300 series boards confirm it as well

AMD announced a couple days ago that all enhancements on 3rd gen will work on earlier boards, if compatible. I'm on mobile, so can't find that one, but it came directly from them

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/does_2nd_gen_ryzen_offer_more_performance_on_x470_motherboards/1

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

And that BitWit video shows nothing since He never tried to run PBO or XFR2 because they are not an option on 300 series boards.

AMD announced a couple days ago that all enhancements on 3rd gen will work on earlier boards, if compatible.

And only the features that are already compatible on that motherboard, newer features are locked to newer generation motherboard like the newer boost profiles and PCIe Gen 4.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

XFR is built into the processor. The motherboard has nothing to do with it.

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

if you are near a Micro Center the Ryzen 7 2700X is now $249.00

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It's only 3 weeks away. Worth the wait. If anything the 2600x will be cheaper then.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

isnt it releasing July 7th? thats more than 3 weeks.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

ya, for something like a new platform and cpu...4* weeks is nothing when you'll likely then have it for 3-4 years minimum

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

even though they're only planning on keeping this socket for like, one more year? i mean, sure i guess. I'm the exception to the rule about keeping hardware for its entire useful life.... I tend to get the next best thing because i'm something of an enthusiast. I will probably be getting the 3900X when it launches just so I can see how good it is.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

One: Your point? Two: What does this have to do with if OP should get a 2000 series ryzen or wait a few weeks for 3000 series which will be new? Three: Again, your point about the socket? You haven't been able to do that with Intel for years, so what does it matter that this is possibly the last year for socket AM4?

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

the point is that this socket is only going to be around a little longer. I was bringing it up merely because I think its best to have all available information so that one can come to a well-informed conclusion and thus buying decision. My question is what does intel have to do with this? I mean, for comparison's sake, sure, I get it. I just think OP and anyone really, should know exactly what they are buying before they buy it. While this is probably not important to most people, I still believe it is good to bring it up so that everyone (especially the ill-informed) can make a good decision. That is my point to bringing it up. it covers all current ryzen chips, and thus I think it is a valid point to consider.
That all said, I would still get a Ryzen from either generation as it will last you a reasonable amount of time most likely and suit your needs well. On top of this, I have another point to make: We have no hard benchmarks from 3rd parties to verify what AMD partially showed us in a controlled environment and I dont think anybody should conclusively say "I'm buying Ryzen 3000" until they've seen hard numbers. But I digress, people will do what they want anyway.
For the record, I would bet that ryzen 3000 is going to be pretty good, but I cannot say with 100% certainty that it will be massively better than 2nd gen. I just think waiting for benchmarks is the best bet on every occasion.
On a side note: is AMD using this socket again because it fits their needs for the newer gen well, or are they simply forcing themselves this time because they promised consumers that they would keep it? my guess is the latter, however it is not relevant to answer your earlier questions.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you wait, perhaps you can get the 2700X for that amount of money near to the release of the new Ryzen 3000 processors.

You never know, right?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i guess but im rly impatient, and school is about to end

• 11 months ago
  • 4 points

Yeah fair enough.

I don't know. Even if we assume that a Ryzen 3600/3600X would have exact the same performance vs the 2600X on everything, a new CPU would make your build more future proof, especially if you want to sell that processor afterwards for getting a even faster one.

Also keep in mind, even a Ryzen 3600 should be enough, and costs even less than $250.

Ryzen 5 3600X - 6C/12T - 3.8GHz/4.4GHz - 95W - $249

Ryzen 5 3600 - 6C/12T - 3.6GHz/4.2GHz - 65W - $199

Ryzen 2600X - 6C/12T - 3.6GHz/4.2GHz - 65W - $179.89

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The Ryzen 3700 will retail at 270. 8 core 16 thread cpu with I believe a 3.6 base and 4.1 boost.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The only normal model AMD is launching is the 3600.

AMD is no longer positioning themselves as a value option and have reduced the number of value models from their line-up.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

At this point I'm mostly hoping they don't lock the clocks. AMD seems to be taking the "you pay for all the value in our chips" a little too much.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I can see them doing that for dual CCX models on 400 series boards just because of the power draw they are looking at 190w+for stock clocks under load is more then they were designed to handle.

But giving those models start at $500 if Your in the market for something like that the $200+ for X570 isn't going to be a deal breaker.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

so worth the wait right

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube