add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there a villain you agree with?

nostalgia2302

6 months ago

Not all villains are evil for the sake of being evil. Many have good intentions, albeit with extreme measures. Is there a book/movie/manga villain that you agree with, or have been close to agreeing with, no matter what how terrible their methods are? this does not mean that you would be willing to do what they did or that you have to think like they did, but that their words or excuses have resonated in you?

A favorite of mine would be Nagato/Pain from Naruto Shippuden. His words about hatred, pain and vengeance make me analyse about the never ending cycle of war and mass destruction that our countries never seem to be able to stop. Both World Wars, Vietnam, Korea, 9/11, Trade Wars...

"Love is the reason why there is pain. When we lose someone precious to us, hate is born. Vengeance is the product of that hate and so death follows. But in death there is only more death. This will give rise to more pains. In this cursed world we live in, it is a cycle of hatred that will not cease. You and I seek the same thing that Jiraiya-sensei wanted. Let me ask you this: How will you confront this hatred in order to create peace?"

"We are but men, drawn to act in the name of revenge that we deem to be justice. But... if there is justice in revenge then that same justice will breed only more revenge... and trigger a cycle of hatred."

"Religion, ideology, resources, land, spite, love or just because. No matter how pathetic the reason, it's enough to start a war."

"Just by living, people hurt others without even realizing it. So long as humanity exists, hate will also exist. There is no peace in this cursed world. War is just a crime paid for by the pain of the defeated..."

"Pain is the way to bring peace."

Come to think of it, some of the greatest eras of peace and calm have happened AFTER bringing pain and destruction (Wars).

Perhaps Nagato understood our world way better than we did. Do I think this world is cursed with hatred? maybe I do. However, I wouldn't destroy a city just to make a point.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

I would say Palpatine and Anakin but tbh they aren't even bad guys because...

From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH the problem with Siths and Jedis is that they are like political parties. There are no villains or heroes in Star Wars. The Siths are Republicans and the Jedi are Democrats.

The dark side of the force is neither bad or evil, just a different flavor of the force.

I'd be hard pressed to call the Sith the bad guys or the Jedi the good guys.

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

I get the feeling you chose the correlations based on lightsaber colors.

Now I’m imagining President Trump pulling out his red lightsaber and saying “I am the senate.”

• 6 months ago
  • 6 points

I am a very very large... a'senate. The best senate. Nobody knows senate better than me, believe me, folks.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

lmao. That would be funny.

• 6 months ago
  • 4 points

Honestly the whole EmpireDidNothingWrong has gotten way out of hand. I can't believe people actually take this seriously.

Star Wars has always had clear cut villains and heroes. The Sith are evil caricatures. Always have been.

The Jedi are clearly flawed, something that is expounded upon greatly in the prequels (and a bit in the sequels), but this equivocating that everyone does online now that there's no difference between "flawed" and "cartoonishly evil" is absurd on its face, and disconcerting to boot.

they are like political parties

The fact that you correctly aligned Republicans with the cartoonishly evil, and Democrats with the merely flawed, is a silver lining to the fact that you can't see a difference between them. "Both sides are wrong" is not wisdom. It's irrational equivocating. It's an attempt to justify one that is unjustifiable, by hitching it to the one that is problematic yet relatively decent, and just saying they're the same over and over hoping people will believe it.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It's true. It could be either way. What I'm trying to say, is that in politics, there are no villains or heroes. On the other hand, George Bush is a Republican. He ordered the invasion of Iraq. It's all about perspective. He is a hero to Americans because the US got its hands on some good oil. He is a villain to Iraqi people. Which side is right?

The Jedi performed many invasions in the name of "people". What's to say that the Empire wasn't trying to maintain their own vision of peace until the Jedi started disrupting their efforts?

The Sith are not villains. Palpatine is.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

George Bush... is a hero to Americans because the US got its hands on some good oil.

Oh lordy. Please tell me this is a troll. I have been trolled. Right?

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

The Sith are not villains. Palpatine is.

All throughout SW canon and the SW EU the Sith basically killed millions of people in wars fighting the Jedi and themselves, and destroyed countless civilizations. They're basically evil. Sure the Jedi are flawed but during the Clone Wars they fought for the freedom of the Republic, a war which was basically manipulated the whole time by a Sith Lord.

And then the Empire, which was run by two Sith Lords, killed and enslaved millions of people, blew up a whole planet of innocent people, and upon the Emperors death he had a plan to basically destroy the WHOLE GALAXY!

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Yeeep

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Not all villains evil for the sake of being evil.

Everyone is the hero of their own story. Especially villains.

The problem is people go to war, they learn how bad things can get, they get war weary. And so there is peace, and eventually a generation grows up not really having lived through a war and feeling that pain, and they want a chance to give it a go. As a civilization we write down a lot knowledge, but we don't always remember collectively. And some things just need to be experienced to understand. War, child birth, loss, you can write about them. But living them is different than just knowing about them.

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Anakin Skywalker and Sheev Palpatine(somewhat). Palpatine's goal to remove the Jedi(A cult that has extreme power in the government and frickin takes children with the parents having little choice because if they don't surrender the child willingly, the Jedi can get permission from the government to "protect" the child. Palpatine's goal was to remove their power was good. The way he did it. That I kind of disagree with. Killing the Jedi knights. Perfectly reasonable. They did try to kill him. The thousands of other Jedi(like the Jedi farmers that talked to plants), that was too far. And of course the kids. If Palps had just killed the knights it would have been fine. But the rest had really done nothing. But honestly during the galactic civil war the Empire were kind of the good guys. The Rebellion blew up a battle station with thousands, maybe even millions of innocent workers, twice. The Empire mostly tried to avoid civilian casualties. The Rebels didn't care. And when the Empire collapsed things got worse(In canon).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, taking over the Senate was basically eliminating the Jedi with a political move. But yes, the genocide was unnecessary. It's like when Hitler started exterminating jews just because.

And yes, the Jedi trying to kill Palpatine is just more proof that there are no evil o good guys in Star Wars. It's just a full Super Smash Bros for their own sides

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup: Magneto

Just to give you a flavor... here is a quote

“The thing none of you will ever understand is that there are no sides. There are no heroes or villains. There’s just what I want and how I’ll get it.”

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

That makes sense. A neutral party just fighting for himself.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Which movie is that quote from?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Not a movie, its from Not a Hero Vol 1 #4

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 6 months ago
  • 2 points

LOL

Ok who did this?

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

This account will have the Karma required to access the store within a week.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Reality is often disappointing.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

0_0

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

lmao that's a good one. Account created just to reply to this thread haha.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

who the **** did that lmaoooooo

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Why was their account deleted (Thanos.)?

• 6 months ago
  • 5 points

it got snapped away by the mods

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Probably because it was kind of spammy in nature. It would never really be a part of the community beyond those simple jokes we’ve all heard a million times.

The account broke three rules according to the site’s Code of Conduct: impersonation, trolling, and spam. These things can be tolerated sometimes in sparse incidences, but since the account was dedicated to these things it had to go.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube