add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I get case fans for the H500?

cesano

1 month ago

so, I've been reading around on websites about case fans for the h500 and some people say that you shouldn't get case fans and you should just use the stock fans because extra fans don't help the temperature, but others say that you can get fans because it creates positive pressure? I'm not so sure what is positive pressure and I'm really new to pc building so I was wondering if I should get any case fans and if I should, which fan should I get?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If you have more exhaust fans than intake fans, you will create negative air pressure. This means that air from outside of the case will enter any way it can to balance out the air pressure. If you have more intake fans than exhaust, you create positive air pressure. This will force air out of every crack in your system to balance out the air pressure.

For the NZXT H500, the two fans that come with the case are set to exhaust. This means that you will have negative air pressure right out of the box unless you add fans to the case. This was tested and found to be of benefit to the video card as cool air from behind the PCIe slots will enter to help cool the card. Adding fans to the front of the H500 didn't really help much as the side vent holes are too small for extra fans to push more air through the case. The stock negative pressure of the case already draws as much air as those side vent holes allow.

The only reason to add fans to the front of the H500 are if they are with an AIO to help dissipate heat from the radiator. Adding fans just for the purpose of air flow were found to have negligible effects on thermals for the case. There are more than a few videos on tests done up on youtube that you can check out if you want.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Ah, this helped me so much tysm! Now i already bought some noctua fans and now i probably don't need it lol. Ty for the help, it explains things much better.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

No problem :) If you can't return the fans, it's always nice to have them on hand for a future build. Or if you purchase an AIO, you could always use those to replace the stock fans. Really, it's never bad to purchase noctuas :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you dude, I was thinking that too. :D

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

mayatola is correct with the case set up. The only issue I see is that if there is too much negative pressure, air will be forced to come in through all cracks which will bring in unnecessary dust. I am a real stickler when it comes to a clean case so I like to have a positive air flow to force most of the incoming air through the filters, but if all you really want is a cooler system for the H500, I would leave the two to exhaust or get a AIO with those.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Owning an h500i, I saw an improvement in CPU temps after installing dual 140mm 1000RPM fans in the front.

HOWEVER I also upgraded both exhaust fans at the same time, to a 140mm 1600 RPM in the top, and a 120mm 2200RPM in the rear.

It's possible the improvements are all from the exhaust fans.

It's a really solid case, and my 9700K runs at 5ghz on a HSF with fine temps. If you like it (or the h510 if you want front IO type C support), I'd say try it out with the stock fan setup, see if you like where your thermals are, and go from there.

The quality difference between the NZXT stock case fans and be quiet! (I opted for Silent Wings 3s) or Noctua fans will be noticeable as soon as you pick up each of the fans.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube