add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone here "Foamers" (Railbuffs)

OogaBoogaLettuce

8 months ago

I was curious if anyone here does railfanning, and if so what your favorite places are.

Or if you have family or friends that do it.

Or if you never heard of it....

Or if you just want me to shut up

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Thomas the train engine theme song plays

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it spent an hour or so in my head this morning.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I have a friend who’s real big into trains and stuff. Don’t know what else to say here.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never heard of it. Sounds interesting and maybe a little odd though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

eh, It is a bit odd. Saturday I was with a decently large group, we set up tripods and had scanners to pick up radios feeds, for the most part its the same thing, but on occasion you get a rare locomotive, and if your really lucky, the engineer will put on a "horn show"

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

So you watch trains?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

yup

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

huh...Thats an interesting hobby for sure.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know if I'm a foamer, I am a railfan though. The modern stuff not so much except to be aware of what's going on in the industry. I'm into steam mostly. Did you follow the goings on at Promontory last week? I look forward to the day I can experience U.P. #4014 at work. For favorite places, just about any grade will do, so just pick your favorite mountain pass.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

My grandma used to live next to one of the major UP lines going through plattesmouth NE. I loved going there....the tracks were far enough away the noise wasn't bothersome but they were close enough to bike to.....in the evenings there would be a train every 10 mins at most. We saw everything on that line, mostly coal but also mixed freights, rail maintenance, and even a few airplanes.

I have also been to the monument at the NE border with a big boy and a centennial.

I used to be really interested but not so much anymore. Still got hyped about 4014 though.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice! I am way out in NY, I live near a major CSX mainline, I see about 40 trains a day, although they are quick, 65mph - 95mph

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Years ago I got to spend a couple of days pacing 3985 across Nevada and down the Feather River canyon to Sacramento, really cool trip. Someday I hope to see 4014 at work. I've seen three other big boys but they are all static displays. I want to see one alive.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Same here.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

i wish i could see 4014, but im in NY, and school, so it's quite impossible

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming I know what that means, I do love to go for walks in the parks which intersect the train track, and see freight trains go by, especially the diesel ones, but most of the time its electric passenger trains that go by.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I love trains, but i cant call myself a hardcore buff at all. However when i was in Cheyenne WY. I seen the Big Boy Engine, it is a impressive site to see. How they made something that complex work back then is amazing to me.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a lot of moving parts. Of course, it's over a hundred years of development later, but still.... One interesting thing to note, a large steam engine is usually accompanied by a modern diesel, this is mainly to add a load (dynamic braking) to the steam loco, as running without the hundred or so cars they were built to pull causes uneven wear on the bearings.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a tiny interest - tiny because I have a lot of interests, and not much time for all of them.

Not sure if railfannning is only watching or riding as well.

I've been watching various youtube videos - there's the Londonist that discusses the various lines of the underground among other things related to London.

There's the virtual rainfan channel - with live streaming cameras at various rail locations.

Also like to watch some of the cabin view videos. There seems to be a lot in Japan and Korea? I've been focused on the French ones since that is where I've ridden trains the most.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I don’t have any friends or family that do it, but I have heard of it.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't posted on this forum in ages but this post will bring me out of the woodwork.

I'm by no means a foamer but I have enjoyed a little railfanning from time to time. I always have enjoyed trains ever since childhood when my father would bring me to his model railroad club! Great memories which I will carry forever. I play my fair share of train simulators and I am even about to be hired on with BNSF!

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you excited for the 2019 Railfan competition?

I've been training for it my whole life.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube