add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
deeduncker

7 months ago

Can someone give me some advice? I found an unopened Intel i9-9900k by my apartment trash can. Someone spent a lot of money trying to get it and they just lost it like that. Idk what to do and I'd honestly be depressed af if I lost a $530 processor. Any tips ? It's in a microcenter bag so I after finals when stop by I'll ask them if they can check the serial number. If that doesn't work I may ask around for PC enthusiasts nearby and find out if any of them lost a processor.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Check Your local laws or ask the local Police on the subject.

Like around Me You have to turn it over to Police attempt to find the owner for 30 days before You can consider it Yours and retrieve it giving the money involved.

Otherwise if by some chance the owner reports it stolen and they find out You have it then Your looking at the same charges as stealing it.

Edit: Think about it. You found it in Your apartments trash so someone that lives near You lost it that is very good odds of them finding out You found it just from word of mouth if someone noticed You talking it out of the trash.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It was near the trash, it was about 10 ft from the recycling bin near the maintenance service entrance to be exact. I think I'll stop by the police office today then put up a "lost electronic part found" sign by in my apartment.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If they wanted it, expect to hear of someone rummaging through the apartment trash. Of course, that's only if they suspect it was thrown away. (If you don't hear of anyone doing so before trash day, chances of identifying them by this method drop dramatically.)

I really doubt Microcenter would release the customer information to you, even if they have it.

To avoid giving it to the wrong person (false positive), perhaps you could put up a sign saying "lost valuable" (or slightly less vague to avoid inviting and disappointing people looking for other items) and require them to identify the item before handing it over. Asking for an ID and making note of their information wouldn't hurt either, should they turn out to be fake and the real owner approaches you later.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, thanks. That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll label it something like: "lost electronic part found" and ask to come forth.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Technically if its in the garbage (or on the curb) its considered trash and depending on the laws of your state you're free to take it as its been disposed of as trash.

I honestly I find this very hard to believe you found a 9900K in a garbage can lmao

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, maybe its some sort of prank? Although then again on reddit I saw someone who did zero research before hand and didn't know what the CPU looked like and just assumed the cooler was the CPU and threw the actual CPU away.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

My best guess would be if this was true was that this person accidentally threw out bags thinking the stuff was garbage, or it’s dead or something.

Or maybe they intended it to be found, who knows

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It wasn't in the garbage can, it was in front of the maintenance entrance near the trash can. I enter and leave through that way whenever I go food shopping

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

So it wasn’t actually trash, someone left it there by accident.

Might want to try and find it’s owner, if there’s a receipt you can post that you found it around your apartment building and then when someone comes to claim it, match the last 4 digits of the persons card to verify.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube