add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

There was a shooting at my school.

YoungTechnician

7 months ago

I don't know if this is allowed in here, but if not, it can be removed.

There was a shooting in STEM School Highlands Ranch in Colorado. It is my school. It happened 3 hours ago. The day started like normal... Nothing wrong. In first period we got to help some kindergartners with a project. Then the day went on... But then went so, so wrong.

I was in music class when it started. I was alone in a different room than everyone else, recording vocals. First, there was only one, loud shot. I stopped what I was doing, but I wasn't panicking. I was confused, probably along with everyone else. The second shots rang loudly. Following the shots was a lock down. I heard more cracking from the bullets during that time. About 2-3 minutes later I could hear sirens, so the police or whoever was here.

What makes this more scary and traumatizing, is that I later learned that the shooters started in the special eds room. Guess where the music room is located? Next to the special eds room. Guess where I was? Next to the music room. The music room had 2 doors. Each of them went outwards, along with mine. Nobody could barricade the doors. My school used to be an office building, which I guess explains it.

When I heard the second shots, I started panicking. I turned of the lights, and locked the door. The windows were already previously covered with paper. I had goosebumps and I felt like fainting.

I was crying and praying, even after police arrived. I hid behind the single table that was there. There were many more shots. Eventually, the door was broken down, and I was taken out. I saw all these people exiting through the emergency exit with police. Everyone was searched, given instructions, and were put on buses to the Northridge recreation center. I was getting texts and calls from everyone, but service was bad for a while. I am so glad I am okay.

There was a thunderstorm, so that added to the mood. I learned that one of my friends, who I shall not name, was running from the shooter, and had his back grazed. He is one of the 8 injured. But one of my close friends is not responding at all, to me or his parents. I learned about 10 minutes ago that there is an injured who is not reunited with HIS parents. My close friend is a male. I hope he is alright. All my other friends were ok, I think. I already have one friend who is injured, I don't need another friend WHO COULD HAVE A BULLET IN HIS LUNG!

I was told a middle schooler and a high schooler did this. Several of the injured are in critical condition. Those people are a part of what is wrong with this world. Please, I need some support. I don't know where else to post this. I am so scared. My parents are coming to pick me up. I need someone to talk to right now.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 16 points

What’s most important right now is that you're okay. I just heard about this on the news a couple minutes ago, would’ve never thought I’d be reading a thread like this.

Honestly I don’t know what to say, I don’t want to turn the thread into a debate as that’s probably the last thing you need right now.

Stay safe, from current reports it sounds like there was only injuries and I hope it stays that way, no one else deserves to die in these situations, it’s truly terrible.

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

Thank you for your support, Tom.

• 7 months ago
  • 9 points

We’re all here for you, this community is great for what it is.

• 7 months ago
  • 8 points

It's times like these where i try and be clever... I try and just spin a quote or say some grandiose statement about the horror.. But no, I can't.. I'm just angry. I'm so glad you're safe and while I can't possibly imagine what you're going through, I want you to know that I'm here.. We're here, for you, whenever you need it.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Thank you so much. I am feeling much better. I'll be starting therapy pretty soon, as I most definitely need it. I'm just waiting for the rest of the shock to kick in. Right now i'm feeling just plain dullness. Tomorrow, I think i'm going to get a shock attack.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

You will just have to take it one day at a time, Everyone deals with this kind of thing in their own way. The dullness is perfectly natural, it is your bodies way of coping. Just wake up every day, and see how you feel and go from there. If you feel you need to seek help, seek help. If you dont have access to a counselor, we are always here for you to talk to, and friends and family can also be a huge help.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for telling me this is normal. I was feeling guilty about not feeling anything.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

The body works in strange ways. Also i know this will be hard, but try to get back into the swing of things as soon as possible. Like trying to go to doing what you do every day before this happened. it will help you recover. The pain of what happened is not going to go away any time soon, but trying your best (on your own timeframe) to get back to normal will in (most cases) help. Like i said, everyone is different, I have never experienced this myself, but when i have had major events in my life happen, that was what helped me the most.

I been following the news story on it a little. I honestly feel for you man.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright, I'll do my best to regain my footing. I'm sure my therapist as well will help me do what I need to do to cope.

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

News: One of the students didn't make it. All I want to do is to break down and cry, but I just can't. I don't know why.

Edit: My close friend is okay now.

Edit 2: I am now home. My family and I are awaiting new information.

• 7 months ago
  • 8 points

I'm so sorry this has happened. Please know that your reaction is normal and okay. Shock and trauma elicit different reactions from different people. The reactions rarely "make sense." They don't have to.

We're here for you.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Thank you, ThoughtA.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I have finally had my good cry. Everything seems so much more at ease now. I am prepared now, for the challenges tomorrow will bring. Thank you for your kind words.

• 7 months ago
  • 6 points

This is absolutely disturbing.

It's so real when someone we know and see on the forums here has something like this happen. You are a friend to us all. Do not forget that. We are here for you.

It's times like these we need to come together and support one another. I, and I'm sure most everyone else here, can only imagine what this must have been like, but it's important that we try our best to understand fully what you went through, though we likely wont be able to fully comprehend the violence and savageness of actually being present for this. It's vital that we support you and support one another.

Something important to remember here, is that you are a hero. You did what you needed to do to save your life, and that is beyond respectable.

When I heard the second shots, I started panicking. I turned of the lights, and locked the door. The windows were already previously covered with paper. I had goosebumps and I felt like fainting.

It doesn't sound like you panicked to me. You knew what to do. You acted swiftly and did EXACTLY the right thing. You should be proud of yourself. Damn proud. By turning off the lights and locking the door, you likely prevented them from targeting your room, thus saving yourself and anyone else inside. As I said before, you are a hero. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

You have been through a ton, and its important that you take time to process it and work through it. Working with a licensed therapist is an extremely helpful and useful tool when it comes to processing these feelings.

Take care man. You and your friends/classmates will be in my thoughts.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you for those great words, Tiny Voices.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Absolutely man. Anything you need.

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

Telling your story even here will help you in the end.

Be safe, and take care of yourself, be with family/friends.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

Like tiny_voices said, this is disturbing.

The off-topic thread, is really a small community of people, and it's shocking when things like this happens to one of our friends.

Know that everyone here, including me, is with you and are sending you their thoughts and prayers.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Wow. That's awful what you have experienced, and beyond anything I can compare with my own life experiences.

I know someone who was at a school shooting. He hid in his room under the covers for days after the incident. That was the description of his response from his parents.

Glad you are "ok".

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

i’m so sorry. here a hug

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

That's very scary, man. Hope there are not a lot of people injured.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

8 people are injured. 1 is dead. I have a friend who is one of the injured, but he is ok.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I’m glad you’re okay. Hopefully something like the incident you went through doesn’t happen again

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

So sorry to hear about all of this, Glad you are okay, but sad that one of the students did not make it. I am sure there is many here that you can talk to you and support you.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Glad to hear that you're okay. Prayers for you and all affected. As a youth pastor it breaks my heart to hear stuff like this. When you're ready, one of the best things you can do is find someone to listen to you. Time doesn't heal anything, talking and finding support does.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

HOLY SHITTTTTTTT!

Thank god you are alright!!

Anyone hurt?!?!?!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, unfortunately. 7 (at least to my knowledge) were injured, and one student lost their life.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Im okay, but 7 people are currently injured, with 1 dead.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

They started in the special ed classroom?

That in my opinion is just messed up, target those who are less likely to stop you first. That really just shows how weak these criminals are. I really feel for you and hope you get better dude this kind of stuff shouldn't happen. From what Ive seen in terms of news both of these criminals are in custody.

Hopefully people dont try to use this event to push their political agendas, no matter the side because that kind of discourse ensures the problem wont be solved.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Glad you are okay! Stay safe and talk to people if you need to.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I just saw this thread. My condolences.

It'll take time to heal, and for the shock to wear off.

I turned of the lights, and locked the door.

I hid behind the single table that was there.

You did well for being panicked and in shock. I don't know if that's comforting, but it's true.

Right now i'm feeling just plain dullness. Tomorrow, I think i'm going to get a shock attack.

Your emotions will be haywire for a while; that dullness is shock, and when the shock wears off, people often react strongly. The memories will take longer to fade. You mentioned therapy- I think that's a good idea. For now though, focus on processing, and your injured friend. The time for grief will come too, and your whole school will likely react differently to it-but everyone will feel it. You can find support in others, the friends you had and the other students who share your trauma.

Take a deep breath. You are alive. With time, you can heal. And if you need to talk, I and I'm sure many others here wouldn't mind talking.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

What an awful thing to have to go thru, I'm glad you are alright! Go to your family, be with them and just hold those dear to you close. I'm not sure what else to say other than we're glad you're alright.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

It doesn't surprise me that this happened again.

It also doesn't surprise me that someone in this really tight community has been directly affected by it. Im truly sorry this happened to you, and it's disgusting that the lack of surprise is whats truth.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. That must have been an extremely scary situation. I've been around gun shots fired maliciously before, and it's not nice. I hope you and your friends are alright and my thoughts an prayers are with those that lost a loved one.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you, I appreciate your support, along with everyone elses.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man...this is horrifying. I am so sorry.

This is something that should never happen. Ever. I hope to God you are okay. I come here to have fun and talk about electronics; not read about something like this. I will be praying for you tonight if that's okay.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty scary given that I live less than an hour's drive away from this tragic incident (in fact, only 10 minutes away from the Planned Parenthood shooting a while back). You never know nowadays when this is going to happen to you.

However, I'm glad that you're OK and that this community has shown itself trustworthy enough for people to post these normally private incidents.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man... I hope you recover soon, along with the rest of your fellow classmates. I'll be praying for you if that's okay.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

im paraying for u!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry for your loss.

The grief from the tragedy will be with you for the rest of your life. As a kid who saw a loved one die in front of him, there will be some triggers to cause the grief to wash over you. This is normal, and you can get past some of the grief. If he was someone you knew, whenever you have that grief wash over you, ask yourself: What you remember about him? You will be able to move on this. It just takes one day at a time.

I'm here if you need to DM me.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

I didn't know the kid who died. My friend was shot, but he was discharged from the hospital.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Daaaamn, are you alright?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 7 points

Not the time or place.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Please keep it polite.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

These people need help but unfortunately they do not get the help they need, whether is be because of ignorance, or lack of funds to pay for treatment. It’s sad really.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I’m gonna be blunt. I’ve thought about it. I’ve been (am) depressed and from their point of view you might as well take out everybody you hate while taking out yourself too. Now the fbi is gonna hunt me down, but I understand their POV. However I don’t condone what they do at all.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Very brave of you to share, what’s good is that you know what these people did is terrible and you won’t follow them in their footsteps, it’s not worth it, and the people you hate as much as you hate them don’t deserve to die, it’s not at all a good way to solve any issue.

We’re always here to talk if you need to, whatever it may be.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube