add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
AvocadosToast

6 months ago

Who is willing to buy a non-gaming r9 380? lol

Don't know the diagnosis, but after 30 minutes or so of gaming, the computer locks up with a black screen and needs a restart to resume.

However when not gaming, it works just fine when watching a movie or browsing around the internet.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

How much?

Have you checked thermals? Maybe run Hardware Monitor and see if it's overheating. Thar would be my first guess. If so try replacing the thermal paste.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know how much. My guess is as good as yours. If the offer is decent, I would accept though. Thermal paste was replaced around a month ago.

Could be overheating but the fan's noise is at fine levels. The airflow in my case suck, so idk if that's also the problem. I'm certain it's a AMD driver or Windows 10 update issue.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Try removing the side panel off your case and see if that helps.

Or if it's a driver issue try reverting to an old driver.

Another thing is the power supply may be the problem. What kind of PSU is it and how old is it? I know the 380 is a somewhat power hungry card and if the power supply is failing then it could be overloading that.

As far as price goes they seem to be selling $50-$80 on ebay. Although if you can't resolve the problem then you would probably need to sell it for less, since the buyer would need to figure out whether it's a problem with the GPU or a problem with your system specifically.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know which old driver to use. I also uninstalled the amd driver and used the windows 10 amd driver version from the update, but same result.

Here is my system

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $49.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Silverstone - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $55.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $300.86
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $275.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-10 13:24 EDT-0400
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If the driver isn't the problem than likely something else is. The GPU could be failing. But try to rule as many other thing out as possible first. How long have you had that PSU?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If I remember correctly, I probably already had the PSU for 3 years. I also have a Antec VP450 that's barely been used but I don' t think it's compatible with the whole system.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think you'd get too much for it. Consider that a working R9 380 is like $60.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-RADEON-R9-380-ARMOR-2X-GAMING-GRAPHICS-CARD/223477874131?hash=item340851bdd3%3Ag%3AhgkAAOSwZFJcrgG8&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true

Maybe you can try and get $30 for it? Since it's half-working. Although you'll get less after shipping.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I would actually buy that card, if only it wasn't 2GB.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube