add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cloud Gaming. Shadow, Google Stadia, AWS...etc.

AvocadosToast

6 months ago

Recently read news on Google's Stadia and was impressed but it got me thinking.

Is cloud gaming the future? Will it become the norm? What would be the effect on the market if half the population were to switch to cloud gaming? Will things get cheaper? costly?

I know that latency is still the main issue for every cloud gaming platform out there, I myself have tried Shadow but since I have good internet speed, and I live closer to one of their data centers. I had a really good time using the service but I'm a builder / assembler by heart.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the games you'd be playing. If mostly RPGs or turn based strategy or whatever doesn't require great response times, game streaming could work out really well for you. But in any game in which the response time will matter, like FPS, fighting games, real time strategy, etc., you'll want to have your own rig to avoid the bad response time.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Something to remember is they are not going to be running very impressive specs for 4k@60fps

You are using a Vega 56 Pro V variant since it uses ECC HBM2.

A Intel Xeon/Core/Atom running 2.7ghz clocks since they list Hyperthreading which is an Intel branding.

The only really interesting part is the system RAM which is either HBM/HBM2/DDR5 with Google listing "Up to 500gb/s".

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/google-amd-custom-gpu-stadia-gaming,38865.html

It really wouldn't surprise me at all to find this is Intel's answer to AMD exoscale APU based on a enlarged Devils Canyon NUC.

It will be a big step up in visuals from say a console but just as far behind a purpose built 4k gaming PC.

The major advantage is it will be hardware agnostic being able to move from mobile devices to PC or console when they launch those.

The big downside is they will likely only be usable in half the U.S. because of bandwidth and latency issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube