add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time building a desktop, have a lot of doubts

Obbama
  • 12 months ago

So, I've been studying desktops for a few months now, since I've been part of the laptop community for years. I now want to get a good gaming pc, to handle most games easily while still trying to stay at a budget. My budget is 1500€ (I can go higher up to 1550, but I'd prefer to stay under 1500), but I'd like to save money wherever I could. Prices are the current prices in my country (Portugal)

This is the build (MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z doesn't appear in pcpartpicker, so I chose a RTX 2070 instead, but I will get a 2060)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor €328.90
Motherboard MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard €94.90
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory €130.90
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive €80.00
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card €434.90
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case €79.90
Power Supply SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply €64.90
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter €13.90
Monitor AOC - G2590PX 24.5" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor €249.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total €1478.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 13:16 EST-0500

Some of the parts are already locked in: The CPU, GPU, case and monitor. I'm willing to take any advice regarding the other components.

I also have a few questions regarding some of the parts:

Is the PSU enough for this build? I can get a Cooler Master 550W MasterWatt 80 Plus Gold Full Modular for 80€ or a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W Full Modular for 85€. Is the price difference worth it?

Is the motherboard adequate? I see some people recommending the tomahawk version, but I couldn't justify the 20€ price difference.

Do you recommend another SSD? Many of them are out of stock in my country, and getting this one for 80€ was the best deal I could find at a 500gb ssd.

Also, since I've never built a desktop (even though I consider myself tech savvy and with enough youtube knowledge to find how to do so) would this build be easy to get together? My biggest fear is bios uncompatibilitys and having to update it somehow, since I have no idea how to do that. Would it be as simples as build it > boot > install OS? Or would it be more complicated than that?

Thank you for your help, really excited to be able to start buying this machine once I clarify all my doubts.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the NZXT h500 case (one is sitting on my desk right now), but I strongly suggest putting 1-2 140mm case fans in the front as intake. There's nothing wrong with starting without them, but keep an eye on your CPU / GPU temps, and if you feel they are higher than you'd like, grab a good fan or two and drop them in.

Tomahawk is one of the best rated b450 boards out there at it's price point, which is probably why it's being suggested so frequently (for the few dollars difference, I'd recommend it as well). Alternatively, you could look at a mainboard with wifi built on, but MSI Carbon AC (the one I was going to recommend) is €134.90.

The crucial SSD you chose is one of the best regarded non-Samsung SSDs (and much nicer on the pocketbook), I'd stay stick with it, or the 1TB version of the MX500.

As to actually building the rig, for me, the most stressful part is closing the clamp when installing the CPU. I've never had anything go wrong, mind you, it's just nerve wracking IMO that if you didn't position everything correctly, you're going to break your CPU and motherboard. There is no might, either you do it right, or you bork two components. What stress? Right?!

Once the CPU is in (and not borked), take some time to install the cooler on it properly, then the rest of the build should be pretty much smooth sailing, especially in an h500. It's a very easy case to work with, though as I mentioned earlier, I do recommend a couple of fans.

2700X and b450 should be fine out of the box, not to say that you wouldnt want to update your BIOS anyway, but it shouldn't be required to get started. A quick google search and a USB thumb drive will get you sorted out though should the time come for that. (Or just ask for help on here!)

Would it be as simples as build it > boot > install OS?

Yep! =) Enjoy the build!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks! I've read that about the h500, it just looks amazing and I'll keep an eye on the temps. The 1TB version is a bit out of my budget atm. I'll probably get the m.2 version since it makes for an easier cable management and air flow.

Damn, you are getting me stressed about the CPU. Is it really that hard? The youtube videos make it look so easy, just align the triangles place it, give a little light shake and that's it!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

LOL it's not hard, it was just 9 years since I did it, and because I was using a $900ish (after tax) motherboard CPU combo, I personally get anxious doing it.

Line up the triangles, and pull the lever, again, I'm only going by my personal experience and since I seem to leave it way too long between builds, I get anxiety about stupid stuff. Make sure the triangles match up, pins are facing down, you'll be fine.

One of the nice things about the h500 is even if you go with the 2.5" SSD, the caddies mount in the back, so you don't see any of the cabling. Yes you have to manage it in a sense so you can put the side panel back on, but it's not like it's something that's going to affect airflow, or how your rig looks inside the TG panel. the m.2 will probably be more visible than a 2.5" in your machine. I usually suggest the Crucial 2.5" simply because it's listed as having cache on it, where as the m.2 isn't. Just my $0.02.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I would really recommend to change that psu to something like a https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/zBfmP6/bitfenix-formula-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bp-fm550ulag-7r for example. The seasonic bronze in you list is old and should be avoided.

You could also drop the cpu to a 2600x because in gaming at 1080p the difference between a 2600x and a 2700x is only 1.6% while the price difference is 100 euros https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_2600X/18.html . Is 100euros more really worth 1.6% more performance? You have to decide.

SSD in your list is great.

Building a pc is very easy ofcourse if it is your first time can be stressfull. Just watch some good youtube vids and take your time to build it.

Bios updates are very easy these days. When your pc is build and windows installed + all the drivers just go google (if using that mobo in your list) type in B450-A PRO and the first resulate will bring you to the page of that mobo. Then support then bios and download the latest bios to your empty usb. Unpack it and restart computer. Go to the bios find the tool to install the bios and normally things can go automaticaly from here or sometimes you have to point to the right bios file. Then wait for install and thats it.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I've changed the psu to Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W Full Modular. I think its a great one and its discounted at my local shop currently, so I'll probably buy that.

2700x is worth it to me, specially because I'm sure I want to stream/make videos in the future, so it just seems like the right buy.

I really appreciate your help! Thank you! Im really excited about this build and will take your advice into consideration!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W is also a great psu.

Ofcourse the 2700x is a great choice for streaming so no problems here ;)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Would the ROG STRIX be necessary? What would it give me that the b450 A-pro wouldn't? It's an honest question, I'm a dummy when it comes to motherboards.

Is the WD Blue 500gb the same as the crucial performance wise? And is the PSU good enough?

Thank you!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. no its not necessary all it has is better looks some better power stability but not noticeable rilly and maby some other random stuff not much.
  2. idk but it's mostly the same for ssd until high end or super low end.
  3. psu is a little on the cheap side but i'm bias and like to go for extra your good with a 520 bronze it won't kill stuff.
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll update it to the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W Full Modular. The 550W are more than enough, right?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

M.2 seems the way to go. I'll look into it, thank you!

The strix is probably a better buy, and I understand every thing you pointed out. Thank you! Althout, its almost 50% more expensive to me than the b450 A-pro, and that is why I was asking if it was really necessary.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you again! I really appreciate it, I will definetly look into it!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube