• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Shoeiz 2 months ago

Hey guys, I am finally in the market for a new computer upgrade. This is not a full upgrade but rather a swap of some components. For right now, I am running an FX-8350 with a GTX 970.

I have a spare 3930k lying around but no motherboard. So I was wondering whether it would be worth upgrading to a Sabertooth X79 and maybe a Vega 56 or 1060.

Or the other path is ditching the RAM, CPU, and MOBO all together and getting a Ryzen 1500, with some Trident Z RGB and a 240 AIO.

Any opinion on the path upgrade would be awesome! Thanks!

P.S. I would upgrade the case too. To either a Lian Li 330W or Thermaltake Core P3.

Comments Sorted by:

staffsMike 1 point 2 months ago

Very tricky. I think in terms of GPU the RX 2060 would be better than the vega 56 and the new GTX 1160 is supposed to be out in a week or two which would be an even better value proposition.

Very tricky on the CPU bit though, I'm sure the 3930K would still give the 1500x a run for its money but is it worth the expensive of buying into a dead platform?

The Ryzen 2600 would be your best bet I think, it's like $20/$30 more but has better per core performance the the 1500x and gives you a modern platform with an upgrade path. So I think I would do that, however it is a shame to leave a 3930K gathering dust lol!

Vairfoley 30 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

I'd say switch over to the Ryzen platform and run a 2600 + 970 for a bit until you want to upgrade the GPU. The 970 is still a pretty nice card. That 3930K is awesome, but I wouldn't invest too much in that old of a platform. You could probably make some cash selling it on ebay, though.