add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible Graphics Card Issue

Kendozin

10 months ago

So I've been having this issue where my monitors will turn black and an annoying repeating sound will play through my headphones. It seems like it should be a graphics card issue because of the monitors and the computer itself doesn't actually turn off completely, but I do have to do a hard shut down every time it does that. It is completely random though, which is the weird thing. Sometimes I'll have a gaming session of like 4-5 hours with it doing nothing but other times I'll have just started a game or just turned on the computer and it does this. My graphics card is the ASUS Strix RX 470 4GB version but nothing physically seems to be wrong with it. I took off the shroud and cleaned everything out and nothing seemed to be wrong. Temperatures are always well below for it to be causing any damage (unless the sensors are messed up, but I highly doubt it). I will say that my motherboard had issues with audio not working but that was really the only problem, I ended up just getting a sound card because I didn't want to send back the motherboard and re-do everything (this was a long time ago, around march of 2018 I'd say). But anyways, that's pretty much it. Sorry for the paragraph of text. I would love any insight anyone has on this topic because it has been bugging me for a few months now, and I am just at a loss as to what the issue is.

Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kendozin/saved/HC2d6h

P.S. I forgot to mention earlier the drivers are up to date, I just installed the latest driver a few days ago and it didn't seem to help at all (the computer still crashes).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it always the same sound?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. I don't really know how to explain it, it is just a sound that repeats over and over and doesn't stop.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I have experienced something similar and I believe it ended up being a motherboard issue. Do you have any spare parts to test with?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have a spare PSU, but that is about it. I don't have any spare CPUs (at least none compatible with the socket) and no compatible RAM either. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it was a motherboard issue.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That limits the testing we can do. Try a different monitor, different, cables, make sure everything is properly connected, and then if that still doesn't work swap PSUs. If it still doesn't work order a new board. Let us know what you find out.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The next thing I tried was switching out the graphics card power cable (I just got the other one from my bag of spare ones). So far it hasn't crashed, but I haven't tried running any games. I let you know if it works or not.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The one in use now and the spare one, are they the same? If they are not the EXACT same then you can NOT interchange cables (with some exceptions). They might be wired differently and you could fry a component by giving it the wrong voltage or literally set it on fire.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I also forgot to mention that the PSU I have for whatever reason the actual connectors are marked red for the PCIE Connectors. So I'm fairly certain the right ones are in.

The computer has not exploded yet either, and the graphics card is working, so that's also a good sign.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Rollback your drivers... its a regular occurrence to have new drivers introduce bugs

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I installed some older drivers from back in July when I wasn't having the issue and it didn't do anything. I hadn't thought of that though thanks for the suggestion.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube