add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noob Builder Wants Opinions (Gaming PC)

NeuroticApron

78 months ago

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/NeuroticApron/saved/1rCj

This cluster F*** is what I have going for my first build. I think it will turn out to be a nice PC, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who know what they are talking about. I wanted to have space and power left over for future games.

My roommate advised me 8Gbs of RAM is enough for gaming, but I wanted 16 because my brother is getting into his graphic design major at Eastern Washington University. I want him to be able to use it as well.

I am open to any and all comments (I am not a puss) so I am open to any and all constructive (or destructive) criticism. Any help would be great!

Comments

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

I forgot to mention the CPU paste is on there because I am open to getting a cooler ( dont know if I need it), and I have extra wattage in there for future expansion. I would like to keep the computer for many years and just change out old components when the time comes.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Your roommate is right, you should start out with 8 gigs and then leave your brother to decide whether to get more ram. In my opinion, 8gbs of ram is plenty. If you are going to change back to getting 8 gigs of ram, get either two by four or four by two ram. The more sticks you have, the faster your motherboard processes.

Hope it helped!

EDIT:

For the cpu, you don't need an i7 unless you are playing some video games seriously, even if thats true, you video card will be good enough to handle what your cpu can't. In human language- I think you should save some money and get the i5-3570k, one of the best processors out there.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard over clocking is a bad idea. Is there a difference between the 3570k and the 3570 performance wise?

Or would it be a good idea to get the K model and have the option to over clock in the future?

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

Overclocking is not a bad idea, you just have to make sure you get a good cooler. If you're not comfortable doing it you don't have to.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe the over clocking will be done on my next build. After I get an idea of what I can and cannot do. For now just putting together a working computer would be an achievement.

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

Cool. That's a good thing to do.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Either way, Have fun and I look forward to looking for your build in the next few weeks!

Good Luck Dood!

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as overclocking goes, you don't have to overclock much, if you got a $30-35 cooler (thinking of the Hyper 212 Evo) you could easily and SAFELY bump a 3570k up to 4.0Ghz, maybe even 4.2Ghz.

Note: Your original link doesn't work so I can't propose a build for you.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

It would help to be able to think about overclocking for when you become a pro at computers. Much better than hitting yourself repeatedly because you didn't buy the one with the K

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Pro at computer is a ways away. I thought I knew what I was doing and then I came to this site :) Eventually I will be able to appreciate the ability to over clock, but for now building a computer without frying one of the parts with static electricity will be a mini miracle

[comment deleted]
  • 78 months ago
  • 1 point
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor £183.50 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard £66.95 @ Ebuyer
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £77.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £53.00 @ Amazon UK
Storage Corsair Neutron Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk £168.75 @ Amazon UK
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card £294.00 @ Amazon UK
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter -
Case Sentey GS-6050 II Halcon (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply £61.13 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer -
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. £905.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-08 23:02 BST+0100

I think this arragement is a fair bit better for you. You've got what's effectively an i7 at i5 prices, 16GB of RAM (in case you're dead set on that), a more affordable motherboard (since I assume you won't be overclocking), a 1TB storage drive in addition to that SSD, a better video card, and a more appropriate power supply (which is also likely more affordable). If my estimations are right, this will be cheaper than what you've already got listed out (or around the same price) and is better.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

That will save quite a bit of money. I am glad i asked everyone what the system looked like from their point of view. Thank you.

[comment deleted]
  • 78 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no significant difference between a Xeon and i7 besides the lack of an IGP. It is the exact same chip die; for the same price as a 3570k, you get the extra threads an i7 offers (which will become increasingly useful for gaming as time goes on).

3 items aren't priced - all of which are in his other build. The pricing is easily comparable.

The H77 isn't useless because the 3770 nor the Xeon can overclock, which I presume OP isn't much interested in, per his original choice.

256GB isn't overkill at all - this will allow for the OS, most (if not all) his games, as well as whatever graphic suite his brother wishes to install.

16GB of RAM is priced where it should be - the extra memory will help quite a bit with graphic design and doesn't cost that much more with respect to the total price.

[comment deleted]
  • 78 months ago
  • 1 point

From the thread you linked: "because Intel uses a unified microarchitecture across almost all of our CPUs there is very little difference from one processor in the same family to the next."

B75 is no more or less "reliable" than H77 - they are based on the same chipset architecture, and as such only differ in features. H77 supports RAM overclocking and SSD caching; B75 does not.

SSDs are several times faster than hard disks - that's not a "slight" increase. Most every game I play has numerous loading screens, as well.

[comment deleted]
  • 78 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Q2oW This is my build, you dont have to crossfire but you can later and the i7 is better than an i5 for video rendering editing and things like that. When your brother is able to use the computer make sure you get the same ram.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube