add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The most creative or strangest ways you have broken a computer.

Adrew24

13 months ago

This is gonna get interesting.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 5 points

Let's just say a window was broken that day.

• 13 months ago
  • 6 points

Gotta take breaking Windows to the Macs.

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Idk how this even happened but it was only a single part which was a relief lol

I had an Antec VP-450 PSU powering our OLD HTPC and I was moving it around to troubleshoot it. So I accidentally left the cable plugged into the socket and unplugged it from the PSU leaving the switch on.

I have no idea why, but when I plugged it back in the wrong way there was a loud POP and after that the system ceased to boot. Troubleshooted everything, then I replaced the PSU and worked perfectly fine after that lol

TLDR: I managed to kill a cheapo PSU I had for 3 days somehow

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Trying to overclock my monitor to 75 Hz not knowing that the ports on both my RX 550 and monitor couldn’t handle it. Monitor survived intact, my RX 550 is semi-dead. (Fans still spin, but the HDMI port might be fried and non-functional)

• 13 months ago
  • 6 points

We’ve explained this like a million times to you on Discord the RX 550 is not dead lol, you just have to try it in another PC since the unsupported settings are still enabled on the PC that you had the issue.

Also you said you’d sell it to me, can I have it now? :P

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

My parents didn’t have another old PC with an empty PCie slot in it laying around they could test my RX 550 with, they just got me a new one instead. Btw, if I were to sell it to you, how much $$$ are you asking for on it?

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Well if it actually IS dead it’s practically worthless, so like $20 lol. But if you could confirm it wasn’t dead which I’m pretty sure it isn’t, it’s still a low end card and is basically on par performance wise as a 750 TI which is cheap used, so about $50 imo.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Either way it should be fine in safe mode. Just saying. I installed the wrong bios on my gpu and safe mode somehow fixed it. Safe Mode Op

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

One time I had a Dell Dimensions 2350 with a P4 and I think it was 640mb of RAM. I used to live in a climate that is dry and cold during the winter so it was easy to build up Static by walking on a carpet. When the Dell was beyond it's usefullness I tried to wreck it by walking on the carpet and shocking it over a dozen times. Each time I touched the motherboard I could feel the prick of ESD. Well that Dell continued to run for another 2 years until it died, but it wasn't in use every day either.

Another time I had a custom built system with a dying Asus P6T Deluxe. I didn't have any trouble with it until I put it in a Rosewill case. The system would randomly shut down and it would not start back up until I slapped the side of the case. Then I tried another case and the board was dead after that.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

So, I didn’t neccessarily break the pc itself, but I ruined the case. Back when’s i had just got into building PCs(like 2 years ago), my Deepcool Tesseract SW case came with a small scratch in the plastic. I then went to YouTube and watched videos on fixing surface scratches on GLASS with toothpaste, and me being stupid tried on acrylic. Long story short, my acrylic window looks a lot worse in the end. Must not be too bad, because I am still using the case...

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I’m not exactly sure if this counts but I had old laptop and it was running slow so decided to try and run Linux on it but it seems the hard drive died during the installation and it crashed but I haven’t replaced the hdd with an ssd yet...

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Vista once deleted itself from my computer several years ago. No idea how or why but one moment it was there and then the next it was gone.

Honestly, it did me a favor ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember when I was younger I had been using my father’s PC to play WoW. I had been playing for quite some time (maybe a year and a half?) so I got bored and decided to play Minecraft. That was great and all but after that the computer never started up again.

I held a grudge against Minecraft for a long time and now, to me, it seems like bad luck to have Minecraft on a computer. It’s the only real superstition I carry.

• 13 months ago
  • 0 points

I spilled water on my laptop

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

HOLY ****!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube