add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Healthy Temperatures for my PC parts?

iiVe

5 months ago

I'm going to be building my PC within the next 7 days and I want to know the healthy temperatures to aim for with my components. The case I have has 3 fans on the front and I'll definetely get another one or two for the other side; where should I put the other fan(s)? I'm not overclocking since this system is powerful enough as it is and I'm not experienced with that to risk it on a $2K system. I read that under load the 2080 Ti can reach 85C, is that alright? I know temps will vary under different levels of load, so if you can supply me with information about that too that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance!

And please don't talk about the parts unless it's about cooling and temperatures (so no "do you REALLY need [insert overkill part here]??". Yes, I do, I'm a 3D artist, photo editor, video editor, and heavy gamer at the same time) or anything like that.

My parts (not including fans, PSU, and other missing components): PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $329.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $128.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $249.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card $1304.00
Case Deepcool - MATREXX 55 ADD-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $80.98 @ Newegg Business
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2118.74
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $2093.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-29 13:12 EST-0500

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

In regards to the 2080Ti, some models, usually those with less capable cooler's or blower cards may land in the 80-85 degree region. That is fine, but with the stock profile the card will have automatically dipped off the clock speeds to prevent it going much warmer then that. With these GPU's and recent gen's the more cooler they are, the more headroom they have to automatically boost higher.

With that said, that Gigabyte model has a slightly more capable cooler and while not the best around will usually land in the 70 - 75 degree region or so under a heavy load. In reality no need to worry about anything here as the card will dynamically adjust clock speeds to ensure it stays within safe parameters, even under the heaviest of loads.

Suffice to say, unless your absolutely choked for air, the GPU will be fine.

CPU wise, the cooler that comes with the CPU will do an adequate job, but you may want to look at an aftermarket cooler to keep temps lower and stave off the boost also dipping. Once again the CPU will be fine in a half decent case at stock, just with the stock cooler may limit performance slightly compared to what an aftermarket one could do.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the detailed answer, I'll keep all this in mind

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

You should definitely add one fan at the rear as an exhaust.

Or for the time being, move one of the front fans to the rear as an exhaust.

85°C seems to be a bit on the high side.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

95-100 degrees Celsius is the danger zone, but if anything actually gets that hot it will thermal throttle, intentional slowly down the processor allowing it to cool off briefly. 30-45 degrees is a good idling temp for CPU and GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube