add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Used FE Cards worth it?

antonjetpack

14 months ago

I was looking for some FE 10-series cards today on eBay, and the 1080's were all around 400 dollars. Do you guys think it is worth it to buy a used FE card from eBay or should I just wait to see if the prices go down for them in the next week before Black Friday?

Thanks, PCPP community!

This is my PC

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

FE cards in themselves are not bad. The stock fan profile on them is relatively quiet, however with said fan profile they will sit at 83 degrees or so which in turn limits boost clock's they can achieve. Its why aftermarket with larger cooler's which can keep the GPU cooler = higher boost = more performance.

With that said I would look for aftermarket to be honest. If they are overly expensive, I would take a peek at 1070Ti's, they can be had brand new for $380 with aftermarket cooler's: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=415&sort=price&page=1

With aftermarket cooler's they will close the gap to the GTX 1080's thanks to boosting higher (ignoring manual overclocks) and being brand new get warranty.

With all that said, you could wait for Black Friday and the sperate question would be is what are you trying to achieve with the upgrade.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I was looking for founders cards because of the green. would that matter that much?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean if your after that specific founders Edition look, then sure go for it. I am partial to the look of founder cards aswell. Just need to bare in mind it will perform a couple of % behind a solid aftermarket cooler.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

It is all good. I don't play with high settings anyway, and a 1070 would really boost my performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube