add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I'm trying to start a band. Any advice?

Adrew24

15 months ago

So... yeah. I'm trying to get a band together, but I don't know much about running one. I can play guitar pretty well and I know how to sing to a certain degree, but I don't know where to go from there. Any tips?

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 8 points

don't suck

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Best advice so far. Bump.

• 15 months ago
  • 5 points

It's actually not that hard.

All you have to do is get some people to...

...band together.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Great to see I wasn't band over this joke.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

No one is replaying, you need to abandon this comment section.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Not trying to hop on the bandwagon but this thread is awesome.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 15 months ago
  • 5 points

Why so many comments instead of just making it a single comment?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

On my phone, hard to do that

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

?

(Link).

(Link).

(Link).

(Link).

It isn't difficult? Unless your phone has something different about it

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

im used to a computer ok?

• 15 months ago
  • 4 points

I have a finger cramp now from all the scrolling dude!! I need to find my safe space now.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Bookmarking this thread. Im in your same boat, a semi-good singer and a good guitar player trying to get a punk rock band going.

Based on what I've heard from Billie Joe of Green Day, don't play with someone simply because they have a van or are close with a producer or something. Play with people that you vibe with, even if they are inexperienced. It'll all come together.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Practice playing in front of an audience.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Put together a Youtube or snatchchat channel and upload videos of you playing different songs. Online resume.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh man, creating a band is one of the most fun things you can do with friends/other musicians, but you have to be organized and dedicated. I admit, this advice isn't probably perfect, as I made a band and it didn't really work out lol.

For me, creating a band depends on how far you kinda wanna go, and if you have a genre you really wanna go into. For example, if you're playing jazz music, you probably want a double bassist, brass players etc. If you wanna go professional, you probably would look for advanced musicians, rather than beginners.

After deciding what you need in terms of instruments, try to find friends or people that play those instruments, try to just have a small trial session or interview type of thing to see what kinda person who you are trialing is, this'll help you find people who are capable of playing the music your band wants to play, and the rest of your band have chemistry with. Of course, the players don't have to be the next Mozart, but, again, this depends on how far you wanna go, sometimes going for the inexperienced player is better, especially if you have better chemistry with them. However, if you don't want to deal with the beginner learning curve, then go with the more advanced players.

Secondly, make sure you have a practice space that has the capability to house all players in the band with their instruments. This is super important when you have instruments like a drumset or a piano, which are kinda hard to move around. Also, if you can book this area and have these instruments there already, it saves you time having to set up everything.

Thirdly, as the "leader", try to get together with your group members and delegate responsibilities, especially if your going to want to play in concerts etc. Someone has to manage the practice space, others the responsibility of reaching out to people for gigs etc. Also, set a level of expectations among the group. This is gonna help resolve nonsense like:" Oh yeah sorry forgot to practice" or stuff like that. Once you've built up a decent repertoire as a band, try to reach out to get small gigs, maybe at a cafe, a school talent show or something like that lol.

Finally, have fun lol, I mean, this is the whole reason to make a band, it's why I made one with my friends, it's why you probably are making one, and it's why countless others are too. Don't be afraid to let loose and just play and chill, stuff like your band's distinctive style and the songs or pieces you compose will come in time, I hope this advice helped you, and I hope you find great success.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I think a place to rehearse/practice is real important, for one, moving the equipment all the time is hard on the equipment, two, it cuts down the chaos factor (I forgot my right handed thingamajig) (the phone's ringing) etc., and both of those cut into the time spent playing. Also it helps keep folks focused on what you're there to do. It's probably best to work with musicians at roughly your level of ability, If someone is too far ahead they may not stay long, too far behind and the learning curve might be an issue. It can be uncomfortable but it helps to have a good, honest critic. If it's a business, treat it that way, protect your reputation. Network with other folks in the business, they might know someone or something that you're needing. Be purposefully flexible. Don't be Pollyana, remember, "when you're up to your *** in alligators, it's hard to remember you set out to drain the swamp".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube