add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I move or download windows 10 from one PC to another?

iiVe

6 months ago

I have windows 10 already installed on my laptop and I plan on getting a new PC sometime in the future, but I don't want to re-purchase windows 10 since I already have it. Is it possible to download windows 10 from my laptop onto a thumbdrive and install it on my new PC? Or is there another way to get windows 10 from my laptop to the new computer? I don't have a physical Windows 10 installer and I don't want to buy one unless 100% necessary.

(I plan on selling the laptop before I get the new computer so I won't have it with me when I get the new PC)

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

You can check for yourself by reading your own MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS in your current laptop.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, nobody follows the EULA...

Follow the EULA, or Microsoft will send the FBI to your house

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If you had a PC with parts instead of a laptop, you could have transferred the mobo and storage to the new PC. However, since you had a laptop, I'm afraid you'll need a fresh Windows purchase.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. There are a few cheap ways for windows 10 so it's not a big deal if it's the best way to get my new PC working.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. When I got my PC I forgot to buy the OS. Turned out that the box that had the Intel CPU in it came with a slim paper package that contained a Windows code.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

so if I buy the i7-7700K new it will come with windows 10?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experince, CPUs do not come with OS's with them. What you do is you download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Then bring it up and accept the EULA. select "Create Installation Media" Then plug a USB drive that has at least 4 GB space on it. (Note: clear out your files on the drive as they will be erased when windows is put on the drive.) Follow the prompts from the tool and finish. Then plug the USB drive into the new pc and go into the BIOS and change the boot order so "USB" is first. Restart the computer and follow the on screen intructions.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not know. I bought the i5-8600k off Amazon and it came with a Windows package IN THE BOX from amazon. Probably a limited time promo. Don't count on it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube