add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7-8700k vs. i5-8600k (With GTX 1070)

antonjetpack

15 months ago

I am torn between the two CPUs because both of them have the six cores that I need. However, I do not know which one to get. My chassis is the H500P, and I have 16gb of RAM with the Z370 SLI PLUS mobo from MSI. Mostly, I do gaming, but I do sometimes record and stream (mostly recording). Leave me your thoughts!

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford the price tag, get the 8700K. Those extra threads are better for video and streaming tasks

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can wait 10 days, you could get the 9600k or the 9700k that have been announced today instead. The 9600k is almost the same except it's 200mhz faster, has some hardware mitigation for meltdown/spectre and soldered TIM. The 9700k has 8 cores/8 threads instead of 6 cores/12 threads.

Both would work in your z370 but you'll need to update the BIOS.

As for if the i7 is worth it over the i5 I'm not sure, I'll let others answer. I'm going for the 9600k but I initially wanted a 8400 :P

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I could maybe wait to see the benchmarks for the 9600k compared to the 8700k, but that is a good idea. I'll think about it.

As for graphics power, is the 1070 fine for now?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9600k isn't that much faster than the 8600k, about 4-10% based on existing benchmarks. The 8700k will still be much faster in multithreaded scenarios.

Depends on your needs. What more would you expect from your GPU than what you have now? I wouldn't upgrade to another GTX and RTX is quite expensive right now.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I do run lower settings on games to fit my 144hz refresh rate, but the 1060 6gb just doesn't have enough power for me right now.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Either get the i5 8400 or i7 8700k. i5 8600k wont be enough of an improvement for streaming or recording since you'd be better off using the encoder in ur gpu, and so it will only give improvement for gaming but if gaming improvement is what you're after you can just get a GTX 1070 ti and stay with i5 8400.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube