add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I upgrade if I want better performance?

crichardson26
  • 20 months ago

So right now I have a i5 8400, 1060 3gb and 8gbs of 3000mhz ram. If I want better gaming performance should I spend the 100 bucks and get another stick of ram, or save up for a used 1070? Canadian prices btw.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are running into RAM limits, don't get more RAM. The 1070 will have more noticeable performance increases

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Unless he is CPU bound...

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

He's not.

• 20 months ago
  • 0 points

Yeah, but that isn't one of the options pointing out in the post.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

that isn't one of the options pointing out in the post.

But you don't know that.

That depends entirely on the game.

If the game is GPU bound because of its heavy graphics computation, then yes, a better GPU will help. (e.g. some new AAA game)

If the game is CPU bound because it's a simulation or a strategy game, then getting a new GPU will do nothing. (e.g. StarCraft 2)

And the OP may play both kinds of games. So I always find it better to do some diagnostics, understand what makes their computer perform slower than expected before one commits to upgrade.

• 20 months ago
  • 0 points

If OP writes "I can do A or B, which one is better", I prefer to choose between A or B. It's entirely up to personal preference if you want to create a third C option for OP, and you are free to do so, but I personally prefer to choose between A or B. End of story.

Yes, you always find it better to do some diagnostics, I don't. Happy?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I only really play fps, the only mmo game i've played is ESO but i couldn't really get into it. The i5 8400 is a great cpu so I believe I am being gpu bound

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I'm gonna start looking for a used 1070 and then a bit later down the line a 144hz monitor!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Please, read this

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The specs you have i would say in limiting your performance would be the GPU then RAM then CPU.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What I was thinking. I don't think my cpu will be harming my performance too much at 1080p though

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You will be fine. Unless your cranking max graphics and all the settings up and you want 200+ frames or so then yeah it will be limiting factor. For general gaming and decent settings your good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube