add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Dumbl3dwarf
  • 17 months ago

I have some old HHD that I ripped out of external enclosures laying about that I can use, until I might get an SSD. But I want to build a reasonably budget minded build that can be a family home theater solution as well as gaming some new games such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Elder Scrolls 6. I am not too picky, as I am coming from gaming on a Dell Inspiron 15 1500 laptop. I currently run Skyrim, low settings, at 32 fps TOPS, so really anything is an upgrade!

Do you see anything that I could cut some corners on without much sacrifice?

Also, what if I wanted to buy everything except the GPU to start which would get me going, and then buy the GPU once I have more money? Would that still game decently well? At least better than my current i7-7500U, Radeon R7 M445 Inspiron 1500??

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dumbl3dwarf/saved/K84NQ7

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

You might as well cut the ram back to DDR4-2400 which I am pretty sure is the fastest a locked i3 will run memory. And I think I'd suggest a small case like the Versa H15 or H17 since the mobo is mATX anyway. The price will end up about the same either way.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I took both of those into consideration and made some adjustments, which dropped the price by almost $100. That said, what if I wanted to overclock? Is it necessary? This will be my first pc build and I only know what I know from research.

Thanks!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I edited my original post with the new URL. I think I got it down to $515.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

cheaper ram cheaper case better cpu cooling more trusted psu mobo is just whatever PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $109.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $36.40 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Mini Video Card $219.89 @ OutletPC
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ B&H
Power Supply EVGA - B3 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $36.27 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $598.52
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $578.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-14 15:28 EDT-0400
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

3 things:

1) I have changed the ram and case, based on another suggestion parred with yours. 2) I dont care too much for the cooling for now, because I am trying to keep the initial cost down, and maybe be able to buy some better stuff later. That said, would the 8100 come with thermal compound? I figured that would be standard, but also thought that I would be irked if I found that it didnt and I had to wait to get thermal compound. 3) Do you have another mobo in mind that fits the mATX form factor? I am totally open to suggestions!

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

The build you have now is just fine. There's nothing wrong with the Asrock mobo, just check over its specs to make sure it has whatever feature you need (usb ports and whatever). I'm not wild about the PSU, might want to spend another $10 or so for the Corsair CX450 (or CX450M, modular is easier to build with).

If you get 2x4GB ram instead of one stick of 8 GB your memory subsystem will run faster. The effect on running games is pretty minimal, but it should be worth a few percentage points.

I wouldn't worry about overclocking at this level; I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference. If you were doing high frame rate 1080p gaming on resource intensive games, maybe, but then we're no longer talking about a $500 build. Best thing you can do for clock speed is put a good air cooler on your CPU, the H7 or a Scythe Mugen 5 even.

Added: coolers including the Intel stock cooler almost always come with thermal paste included. You only need to buy more if you're removing and replacing the cooler multiple times, or if you want to use some specific brand. In general all the good pastes are within a degree or two (C) of one another.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube