add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build - quite intimidated

MCMackers
  • 17 months ago

Hello,

I've never built my own PC before but I think it's finally time to upgrade from my six-year-old bottom-of-the-line prebuilt machine...

I've assembled this build list and would like some feedback on it. I don't really want to spend too much more on it than this, but I will do so if there are any parts that should be upgraded further.

My concerns:

A) For some reason, there's no cooler on this. I think there wasn't one on the list I adapted it from, but that was a couple of months ago, so I don't really remember... Is one required? Can anyone suggest a good one?

B) I've had some internet connection issues in the past. This might not make too much sense, but I plan on using a powerline adapter to connect to the internet but have included at network adapter in case that doesn't work. Unless this would be no better than an up-to-date dongle I'd rather have the adapter - can anyone please confirm that this build would support a powerline adapter? (I have no idea what I'm doing, or how to check this. Sorry.)

C) The graphics card says it only has one HDMI port. Would it therefore not be possible to use two HD monitors with this build?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I don't want to make assumptions and order parts only for it to not work.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 3 points

A. the cpu is shipped with a stock cooler it's ok but you can do better a dark rock 4 or dark rock pro 4 will be much better. B. idk much about networking sorry. C. I'm going to gees HD just means high definition the specific connector will determine if you can (HDMI,DP,DVI-D) some monitors have two different connectors you don't have to plug in both only one so if you have two monitors that both have a HDMI and DP your fine or even if they only have DP because there are 3 on the card.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Second firelimbs.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

a) the stock cooler on the 2600 is OK, if not great. The usual advice is to start with the stock cooler. If your temps are higher than you like, or if you want to overclock more than a little, upgrade the cooler. Cryorig H7 is an often-used midrange cooler; something like a Scythe Mugen 5 costs a bit more but will handle any overclock you can expect to get out of a 2600. (Overkill for normal operations though.)

b) Powerline ethernet would terminate in an RJ45 jack that you wire with ethernet cable to the RJ45 on the motherboard. The mobo supports wired ethernet, so the answer is yes.

c) as said above, you'd use an adapter (if necessary) to run one of the other ports to a second monitor.

Your build is fine just the way it is. If you want to squeeze a few pounds, plus make it physically smaller, something like this will work just about as well. (Switched mobo to B450 since you don't seem to be using any X470 specific features; slightly faster RAM; mATX case; cheaper but still good wifi adapter.)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor £142.48 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £89.94 @ More Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £139.15 @ Amazon UK
Storage *ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £64.98 @ Amazon UK
Storage *Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £63.59 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Titanium Video Card £384.79 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case £44.16 @ Aria PC
Power Supply *Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £67.99 @ Amazon UK
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter £33.59 @ Novatech
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1030.67
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-11 23:34 BST+0100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube