add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

will it perform good?

BACON_MAN

12 months ago

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7XzfxG

will it Perform well? Is there anything i should change. thanks

Also will i be able to overclock this cpu? I heard it's hard to

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

It will perform very well indeed, and yes you can overclock

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you plan on using the build for?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming maybe streaming in the future

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If that's the case then you don't need 32Gb of RAM. 16Gb is more than enough and you don't need 3200MHz either. I'd suggest getting 2x8Gb of 3000MHz RAM - it's the best bang for the buck. You'll notice literally 0 difference between 32Gb and 16Gb and it's half the price. Also get the Corsair H115i PRO for the cooler. It's better and quieter for like $30 less. Other than that you should be able to play anything in 1440p at like 144Hz no problem, except for maybe when you stream.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

i also want to future proof so would 16gb be good for awhile?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes 16Gb will be good for a long long time. Hell most games dont even use 8. 16Gb is the amount you want for future-proofing.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a lot that could be changed.

Removed the Thermal Paste Changed the motherboard to a more reasonably priced option Changed SSD to a newer and larger option Replaced overpriced Black drive with a normal 2TB storage drive Replaced PSU with a 80+ Gold option which isn't overpriced

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor $419.00 @ Amazon Canada
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $179.99 @ PC-Canada
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $208.75 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $453.00 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $124.50 @ shopRBC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.95 @ Vuugo
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card $969.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $119.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $110.99 @ PC-Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $120.95 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2780.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-24 10:22 EDT-0400
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Why remove the thermal paste? I used that motherboard because it looks good and seems to be good. In the future im going to get a 2nd gpu. But right now as it is will it perform well. Most games on ultra holding steady fps (over 60 or 70 or even more XD

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7XzfxG)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU cooler comes with thermal paste pre-applied. The motherboard is just massively overpriced. It doesn't offer anything to justify being the most expensive motherboard on here either.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

the nzxt kraken comes with thermal?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Most CPU coolers do

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That motherboard is legit one if not THE best X470 boards in the market. Its massively overkill of course but its not some rgb overpriced garbage.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course, this computer will perform great! One thing to keep in mind though is that you are wasting a lot of money. Now, you can go ahead and spend $3641.16 on a great build and disregard everything I'm about to say... or you can see what I have to show you that can possibly save you a lot of money (while still having a high performing computer). Keep in mind, anything that isn't the color you want is something that is simple to change and you will have plenty of extra money to customize those changes. Another thing to keep in mind is that I went from what I thought was the most important part down to the least important part (or at least I tried to, somewhat), so my list is out of order with how they're traditionally made on PCPP. Now, let's get into the build.

First off, the CPU. Your CPU is great, don't get me wrong; however, the 2700x benchmarks within the top 10 user-based benchmarked CPUs and another that performs slightly lower than it, yet benchmarks in the top 5 with a $109 cost difference is the AMD ryzen 7 1700 CPU. Here's the comparative benchmark for you to look at http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3958vs3917 (What's important is the turbo overclocking when seeing the GHz) So, there's $109 in your pocket.

Now, onto the RAM. Wow, hey I don't blame you for wanting the cool, RGB ram sticks; however, these pesky sticks are the bane of the ram market. These sticks can perform just fine; yet, there are less expensive, higher performing sticks out there. What's the trick? No RGB. Another user-based test bench shows the facts. The Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black sticks outperform the Trident Zs (theoretically as the Trident Z RGBs aren't listed on the site, but it's non-RGB equivalent is): http://ram.userbenchmark.com/Compare/HyperX-Fury-DDR4-2666-C15-4x8GB-vs-GSKILL-Trident-Z-DDR4-3200-C16-2x8GB/3570vs3550 So, there's another $120 in your pocket (and a better-performing stick) on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-HyperX-PC4-21300-HX426C15FBK2/dp/B06XNV44R5?th=1.

Again, onto the GPU. Asus makes a mean 1080Ti if I say so myself; on the other hand, there's money to be saved with a higher core clock card! Both the Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Mini Video Card(https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/dHcMnQ/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-mini-video-card-zt-p10810g-10p), and the Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G Video Card(https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/2TgPxr/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-gaming-oc-11g-video-card-gv-n108tgaming-oc-11gd) are overclocked GPUs. That's right, that means higher performance right out of the box without any effort necessary on your end. Let's do some comparing right here, but first off let's get organized. TO SIMPLIFY Core Clock (Out of box speeds) = CC, Boost Clock (Overclocked speeds) = BC, Cost (What's being taken out of your pocket) = $. Now that we're organized, let's compare some cards. Zotac's 1080Ti: CC-1.51 GHz BC-1.62 GHz $-899.99, Gigabyte's 1080Ti: CC-1.52 GHz BC-1.66 GHz $-869.99, Asus's Strix 1080Ti: CC-1.49 GHz BC-1.63 GHz $-969.99. So, out of all of this data, what did we learn. First, we learned that Gigabyte's card performs the best with the highest core and boost clock speeds alongside the lowest price. Second, we learned that Zotac's card perform's a little bit lower than the Gigabyte card and acts more like a middleman between the Asus and the Gigabyte card with great, but not the best clock speeds and a price that keeps itself competitive. Finally, we learned that the Asus card performed the worst with the lowest core clock speed (of course, it isn't OC stock) and the highest price. The one good thing about the Asus card is that when it is in it's boosted clock, it outperforms the Zotac. In the end, Gigabyte made a perfect competitor to the Strix and comes at the highest possible Boost and Core clock speeds with a price reduction of $99.91. So there's another $99.91 in your pocket (and a much better performing GPU).

Now, I don't need to be critical, but what was going on in your mind when you chose the bequiet PSU?????? $217 for a modular power supply that's bronze rated. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650 Get this, please. Gold rated, 650w (so no power wasted with room for growth, still), and still modular. A reliable PSU, too. EVGA makes a long-lasting power supply, most especially when they're gold rated. So, $104.01 in your pocket (and a much, much better power supply).

Next, the CD Drive. It is 2018, going on 2019, soon. You should never have to pay more than $30 max on a cd drive. $51 for I don't even know, just not okay man. I'm sorry for being so critical on aspects of your build, but I want to instill with you that you need to take more time researching your parts before you spend money on them, because look... you're saving over $400 already and the parts are better (besides the CPU, it's still very high performing nonetheless). https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/2v9KHx/asus-optical-drive-drw24b1stblkbas This is an Asus Cd/Dvd drive. It does its job just as well if not better and is made by a reliable brand with great customer service in case it doesn't perform the way you want it to. So, $27.87 in your pocket.

Your operating system. Windows 10 is great, but you know what's even better and gives you higher performance and options to customize on your computer (for example, add more ram and gain higher core clock speeds on your CPU)? Windows 10 Pro. You win some, you lose some... to upgrade to windows 10 pro you'll spend $46.04 (aren't you happy you have all this extra money to do so, though?)

Your Cpu cooling and case fans... I'm gonna let them be, I won't ruin all the fun in your build or make you have to cut all prices since NZXT does make a very nice fan and water cooler; however, you are wasting a lot of money doing so. Just keep this in mind for later if you want to cut down on the $$$ spent. (UPDATED: It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have both 3 deep cool and 3 NZXT fans? If you truly need 6 RGB fans, ditch the deep cool ones and get another 3 of those NZXT ones; therefore, you'd save $40, so put $40 in your pocket)

Now, onto your storage devices. Western Digital makes an incredible Black edition hard drive. I have no argument against how cool that thing is; however, you're playing video games, you're not a computer scientist who needs storage in order to save large files from CAD or ai or rendering. You can still have a very, very nice storage solution, this kind of solution doesn't make sense with what you're doing, though. So instead, remove both the HDD Black and the SSD by Samsung since there's a better option than a traditional SSD, too. M.2 and NVMe drives are insanely fast (for this current moment in time lol in 5 or 10 years I'll be laughing at myself since technology just rapidly expands). Ever pee lightning? Well, grab one of these and you'll know what the surge feels like! https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/wd97YJ/samsung-860-evo-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-n6e1t0bw 550mb/s read/write speeds and a whole lot more with this guy. Also give yourself a hybrid HDD/SSD mix for another Terabyte of unmatched performance: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/w6x9TW/seagate-firecuda-1tb-25-5400rpm-hybrid-internal-hard-drive-st1000lx015 Altogether, you'll be saving $86.79 and to be entirely honest with you, you don't really need more than the M.2 Evo if you're just gaming, but the hybrid HDD/SSD is still there for all the extra space you need and it saves you tons of money while still being a high performing option. A tip is to put windows and all of your games on the M.2 Drive, as well as the install for google chrome --I'd presume. That way you can maximize the performance of your computer by speeding up boot times, game starting/opening times, the game performance itself, and internet performance. So, put $86.79 in your pocket (and a smarter storage solution).

Thermal Paste... niceeeee. You can keep that, there's normally thermal paste that comes in a little silver packet when you get those CPU water coolers so it's a waste to get this, but hey I did the same thing when I built mine too (sometimes the thermal paste that comes with these products is pretty pathetic/not the best to use), so I don't blame you. One thing you should consider though is that the NZXT water cooler has pre-applied thermal paste on it I THINK so, for now, I won't say you saved any money here, but still, you might be able to.

Moving forward, your case is perfectly fine. Can you save money? Yes. Will this case be more than what you'll need? Yes. Does this give you room for expansion, though? Definitely. When I built my first my computer, I made sure the one part I cared about "looks-wise" was the case, because in the long run what will you be looking at the most (even though it's tempered glass, but I digress)? The case, so it's important to make sure you have one you like and you certainly chose a nice one.

Finally, the motherboard! My god, when I saw all 8 USB 3.0 slots stacked up together I took a double take and that wifi antenna thingy that I know the technical name of, but you know what I mean when I say antenna thingy. Okay, so... for starters, most people don't spend over $200 on their motherboard, but you seem to like to just burn your money so the ROG Crosshair V... would be a great option if not there was a most certainly better option for almost half the entire price. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8Wzkcf/msi-x470-gaming-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-pro Get this and you'll save $187 without any true compromise unless you planned on plugging in 8 keyboards at one time. So, finally, put $187 back in your pocket (and go return 8 extra keyboards to wherever you bought them). Now, one thing to keep in mind is that the ROG motherboard had wireless wifi built in with that antenna... yeah, you know what I mean, so you will have to purchase a wireless network adapter which is not only very inexpensive but will help fill your expansive new computer nicely.

BACON_MAN, I had fun spending the last half hour to hour or so looking at parts for you and hope to see you make something great. just remember, don't purchase something just because it looks cool, because chances are it has to look cool in order for people to buy it and mask its true identity: lack of performance. One thing to take out of this is that when you want to make your own computer, you should be doing some of this research on your own alongside the help you're receiving. One great resource we all have access too (I'm guessing you do since your budget was so huge) is called the internet and that's where you can find reviews, and test benches, and video proof and gameplay/usage of the products you're looking at. You need to make sure you know the inside and out of each component before you make a commitment like this as it's a lot of money to be spending and all it takes is a misunderstanding or simple mistake that could not only set you back time on building the computer, but deem an entire part unusable. In the end, this is your build with your own money, so do whatever you would like as it's your stuff, not mine or anyone else's. Speaking of money, you saved $728.54! Your build would come up to around $2913.62 and there's even more space to save without cutting on performance! I wish you good luck and that the build comes together nicely!

Happy building, OfficialP90

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks so much for taking time to type all that. I will make a few changes. the reason I added thos extra fans was for the nzxt cooler because i heard the stock fans on it arent that great. do you know if you even can change the fans out?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Most certainly, the fans on the cooler come out with screws and can be reused for the newer fans. To be completely honest with you, stock fans aren't that bad; heck, I still use the stock fans for my case cooling. I think the main concern people have with using stock vs new fans on the cooler is if the fans will be fast enough to keep up with the CPU load and maintain a good temp for the cooling liquid. Either way, if you do get new fans for the cooler, I would definitely suggest you try and use the same NZXT ones that you wanted to put around your case, that way you know that the cooler, case fans, and cooler fans can all work together on the same RGB software that you'll use. Another suggestion for you is that most motherboards don't support that many fans and I don't think either the one you first chose and the one I showed you have support for all 6 and the cooler. In order to combat that, you can purchase a hub that you can plug all the fans into and then have the single hub go into one of the fan inputs on the mother board.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, do not worry about your fps or the settings for games when you build the computer in either of our configurations, the computer will always (if it's an in-game feature) set any and every game to the highest settings possible.

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

im still making changes but is this good so far? https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wkMCZR

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

So far so good, I would like to mention that you should change those deep cool fans to the same NZXT ones you already have. You don't have to change the CPU if you don't want to since I can tell you probably won't want to overclock your CPU (it's hard and not worth the time if this is one of your first builds). You should definitely change the RAM sticks to the ones I showed you, even though, yes, RGB is cool, but you're gonna save a lot of money and you'll be able to utilize that money for RGB strips if you wanted to, or a new desk and gaming chair or new mouse and keyboard and other stuff that's after the fact. Also, change that graphics card to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-AORUS-GeForce-Graphic-GV-N108TAORUS-11GD/dp/B074PL43GQ?th=1 This card is less expensive and performs better (it's pre-overclocked for you and has extremely high speeds, higher than the one currently in there). I showed you American pricing for that card, let me know if you're not able to purchase that for $679.99

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube