add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which build is better?

mxmm

12 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Z7P8Y

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YpJMMZ

I need a $800-$850 USD build (preferably on the cheaper end) for games like fortnite, black ops 2 and 4, rocket league, and csgo. I’ll also use it for homework and have multiple tabs open along with programs like Spotify and discord. I can’t decide between intel and Ryzen. Thanks

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

What you do depends on which CPU you choose;

• Single core based loads (such as gaming): Intel

• Multithreaded workloads: Ryzen 5 will have the upper hand

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $165.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $88.26 @ Amazon
Memory Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $85.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.90 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card $314.89 @ Amazon
Case Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $45.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $834.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-24 08:32 EDT-0400

This build is better. It's your second build but with faster RAM for the Ryzen infinity fabric and a cheaper power supply that should work perfectly for your needs. The 2600 is about on par with the 8400 in most situations especially when overclocked so I would say go with the 2600. Here is a link to gaming benchmarks for the 2 CPUs if that'll help you decide. I'd suggest the 2600 personally though as you get better multicore performance as well as solid single and quad core performances.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

This helped a lot, thanks

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi there,

First off, I am very biased to Intel chips over AMD ones as I've had a lot longer history with using them and understand/know their performance over an AMD chip. With that being said, I would recommend the Intel chip as its going to serve you better with "gaming" over the AMD chip. One thing I will say is that the AMD chip would be great if you're trying to make a "workbench" type of build; however, as you've stated above, it seems that you will not be doing anything like CAD, or rendering and rasterizing software-aided designed projects. Overall, I would go with this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Z7P8Y

One thing to take along with you though is that everyone has an opinion on this website, and those opinions can be very, very one-sided to a specific manufacturer or type of product, even if it isn't the best option or your sake. Like I said earlier, I am biased over an Intel build; however, I had reasoning to back myself up (and, of course, these types of people will try to too). What I'm getting at is that even though it's nice to have help making these kinds of decisions, it is smart to do your own research alongside these opinions in order to not only have transparency in what you are buying, but also knowledge on what you will be building so that you know exactly what you are doing with it when it arrives at your doorstep.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I’ve done a ton of research, I just wanted some input from people who have more experience than me as this will be my second build. Thanks for the advice

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

No problemo! One thing that I'm sad to see is that you're paying $314 for a 1060 that's not even OC... those pesky bitcoin miners and their fluctuation of the market tisk tisk

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

One thing I may add is that your Gpu isn't be utilized to the best GHz for the price. What I'm trying to say is that you're overpaying for performance. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/j8tWGX/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-ssc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6267-kr This superclocked 1060 is $299 and has a higher core clock speed as well as higher boost clock speed. Just something to consider :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube