add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Oil catch as custom loop resrvoir

Adrew24

15 months ago

I see that it uses barb fittings, don't know if they are removable. If they are, I would probably use compression fittings instead. even so, IDK if this would work as a reservoir, I'm only considering getting it because I'm thinking of doing a JDM-themed build. Link

UPDATE: This one is a whole lot cheaper. Could I stuff and normal reservoir into this one and have it work too? link

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 4 points

I like the idea of incorporating car parts into a build and I wish to do so myself some day. What if you were to put a reservoir inside the catch can and connect it up so that it looks like you are using the catch can to store liquid whilst not risking a metal reaction within the loop?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that.. that just might work!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking about doing it for a watercooled build I wanted to do and I saw no reason why it couldn't work here! I will be interested to see if you pursue this. I did some looking and EK's smallest res here just fits but it would need an exit port facing directly down, not exiting on the sides. The top port would work fine. If you could find one that terminates at both top and bottom of the res then this idea would work.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

First off I love this idea and hope it works. Based off the pictures of the product you linked it looks like they are removable. My biggest concern is what metal that item is made of because if it is aluminum that is a big fat no. Hopefully it is, or you can find one, made of copper so you aren't mixing metals and causing galvanic corrosion.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly what I was worried about. I'll start the search for a copper one. Thanks!

Edit: would spraying this inside help?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Maybe? I'm not too sure. My worry would be flaking out into the fluid.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Another idea would be plastidip. If I can coat the inside with rubber, then there goes the problem of my coolant touching aluminum.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

He wont know you edited your post... you need to reply again to his comment.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You could also get all aluminum components from EK as an alternative. I'd bet 90% of the catch cans you find will be aluminum, the rest being stainless, carbon fiber, or plastic.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

You could open it up and install a normal reservoir inside

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube