add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lenovo - idealpad Y700 Heating Issues

yveshe

15 months ago

My friend's laptop all of a sudden starts heating badly and BSoDs her PC a lot.

She told me she went to see a local technician and he cleaned her components inside, which helped a little bit, but her laptop still BSoDs. She told me her temperatures upon booting is around 40c, which isn't bad (though I don't know how good or bad for a laptop), but it would still overheat and crash.

She has her laptop for two years or so, but is it possible that it can't run anymore due to its heating issues? I don't think reinstalling the OS would help, as she already did that in the past.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

the thinkpads are easy to work on (i own a y500) and i noticed that the thermal paste is very thinly applied so i might take the heatsinks off and put some new tim on it.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. Is it easy to access/screw out the heatsinks?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah their all spring screws

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so just screw out the heatsink, clean and apply thermal paste again, and screw back in?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure whether this is correct or not (I’m taking a guess), but has the heatsink assembly been looked at? (if it’s been incorrectly assembled (manufacturer defect), damaged, or the TIM is not applied properly, that could explain some things)

I’d also look to see what’s running in the background (could there be something using up a fair bit of the CPU, at idle?)

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything seems to be in order. Otherwise it's still crashes.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Did she update her drivers?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Did she use the ones on the Lenovo website?

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

I presume. Don't think there are other ways other than the Device Manager.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube