add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen vs Intel Core for Gaming

hunterIV
  • 22 months ago

I’ve only looked at Intel CPUs for my first gaming build, but would love some insight between the two brands and what might be best. Looking to build a gaming/internet browsing PC and it is my first build.

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Benchmarks in the titles you intend to play are always your best guidance for parts.

Personal opinion though looking through all the benchmarks unless you are on such a strict budget you have to use integrated graphics.

Intel options are cheaper to put together and offer as much or more gaming performance then AMD.

AMD has it's benefits but those are not in gaming performance.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Intel for gaming. Can't really go wrong with any of the current options by either brand though.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

You can game fine on either Intel or AMD Ryzen. Ryzen has the benefit of more cores/threads for the price so Ryzen destroys heavy multi threaded workloads but unfortunately Games are not like that. Some games can only scale with 1-2 cores, most older triple A game titles scales with 4 cores, and newer and possibly near future triple A game titles are now starting to flex 6 CPU cores so the faster those cores runs the better the game performance. The unlocked Intel coffeelake CPUs often can overclock to 5.0 GHz so if money is not in consideration those are the top gaming CPUs like the i5-8600k and i7-8700k. That being said the 2nd gen AMD Ryzen CPUs with XFX2.0 boost does really well too in gaming. You are not shooting yourself in the foot buying either side like you would in the good ol days of haswell vs FX....

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the info. Which one would be more “future proof” if one is?

And fwiw, I don’t plan to overclocking any time in the near future as this is all new to me (11 years with MacBook Pros). I don’t know if that changes what I should pick.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard to say for 100% certain. AMD has vowed to keep the current socket valid until 2020 but I can't say how well a future CPU that has not been created yet is going to perform. As for the longevity of current CPUs it depends on how game developers make their games. If they design them to scale across all available cores and threads and do so efficiently then AMD would be more future proof. That being said I strongly doubt that would be the case and holding to 6 cores seems more likely. If you plan to buy a CPU now and don't want to upgrade for 5 years at all then Intel nets the largest per core speed which games favor most. Either way there is a bit of a gamble but both choices are at the very least good options.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I was reading and it sounds like Z370 boards will be updated soon, but the X470 boards are brand new.

I’m too indecisive for all these choices!

• 22 months ago
  • 0 points

If you aren't overclocking than Intel's "gaming" advantage all but disappears. Also Intel's "gaming" advantage typically only exists when insisting on running games at 144Hz. Even trying to keep things just above 60Hz means only the GPU typically matters (but don't buy a bulldozer).

Two of Intel's best gamer CPUs are the 8600 and 8600K. They might be "3.1GHz" chips, but will hit 4.3GHz in low-thread gaming. The catch is that the AMD 2600X matches this price, also runs 4.3GHz in low-thread situations (i.e. gaming) and easily runs faster in high-thread situations (presumably heavy work and maybe future gaming). The 8400 and 2600 do pretty much the same thing at a price point $40 lower (and .3GHz lower peak performance).

The i3 looks interesting, but Intel doesn't let the clock turbo higher (or at least doesn't list a turbo frequency), so what you see is what you get. The Intel 3.6GHz i3 8400 will likely evenly match the 3.5GHz [3.7GHz boost] 1300x (both are 4 core 4 thread), at least until you try overclocking. The i3 is locked but I'd expect the AMD to go to 4.2GHz... On the other side, Intel will sell you an unlocked i3 going 4GHz to start with (and presumably an excellent gamer), but it will cost $170 or roughly what the 6 core 12 thread unlocked 2600 (which will boost to 3.9GHz, so will likely have an advantage even before you try overclocking each).

The only advantage the i7 has over the i5 is that is has more threads. This basically is competing with AMD at its own game, and never works in Intel's favor (overclocking typically changes things for $350, giving you the best of both worlds if you get a ~5GHz i7 8600k).

AMD has two aces up its sleeve. One is the heatsinks. Especially if you aren't overclocking I'd expect AMD's heatsinks to be enough to get boost frequencies while gaming (expect to replace it when overclocking). I wouldn't trust Intel's heatsinks even for that. The other is that motherboards are historically cheaper for AMD, and often easier to get them bundled. WARNING: make sure the motherboard is compatible, or you will have to wait for AMD to ship you a free ALU. Microcenter had an unbelievable deal on a 2600X + Asus ROG motherboard (will allow overclocking) (+ AMD Wraith Spire Heatsink) for $284. Maybe they would update the bios at the service desk if you bought it at the store...

I think when you look at CPU+motherboard+heatsink, you will find that AMD will have identical current gaming experience for a lower price, and easily surpass Intel at anything that uses more threads (which should include future games, especially if consoles try to maintain performance by spamming cores).

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

If I look into Ryzen, should I get an X470 board?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube