add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Coil whine sound? HDD or CPU Fan? Laptop

lolkrayd

63 months ago

I had my laptop for roughly 2-3 years now and as of late it would start making this coil whine sound that only occurs when it comes back from stand by.

I am at school a majority of the time, and walking from class to class is roughly 5min, so I don't see a reason to do a full shut down.

Warranty has long expired so I opened it up to clean it out. No luck the sound was not produce since it was a fresh start up.

Only difference now is the coil whine doesn't last as long.

Anyone had this problem before and fixed it? Starting to suspect that it is my cpu fan

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

have you tried to stress the cpu to make the fan spin faster and see if the sound occurs

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Just ran one, not too long ago

there is a hum but its not the same noise.

The noise I experience sounds like a jet taking off.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm might have to replace HDD

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

was hoping it wasn't this... Guess its time to back up everything and perhaps invest in a SSD

Thanks for the help.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

did a little search on Google and hard to find your problem

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube