add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did I Create a RAID 0 Array Correctly?

yveshe

18 months ago

So I installed Intel Rapid Storage on the OS, enabled it in the BIOS, pressed F11 in the post (I have ASUS Motherboard), I used five of my HDDs to put them in RAID 0 Array and the total amount of storage is about 1TB, but I only get 745 GB instead.

All the HDDs are properly connected, which is why I can see all the HDDs are visible. I checked all of them and none of them have any problems. And only one HDD is slower (5400 RPM) compared to the other four.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

My first question, why do you have 5 drives in a RAID 0? The space usable is similar to how you can have 8GB of RAM, but only 7.9 usable. There is not a perfect manufacturing process where you can get the exact 8 GB, so they make it as close as they can, there is also like Windows files and things that are constantly running in the background that take a little bit of that. That is my best guess as to why there is only 745GB usable. You will also probably be limited to the 5400 RPM speed despite the speed of the other drives, since most computer parts will only operate as fast as the slowest part. For example in a network if you have gigabit connection the entire connection and then you break it and insert a switch that can only operate at 100 mbps then the whole pipeline will only run at 100 mbps despite everything else being gigabit.

As far as did you create it correctly. Yes.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to have more storage into my computer for installing more games, so I salvaged five of my old HDDs that are fixed.

When I created a spanned (or stripped?) disk in the Disk Management, as well as creating for a second time in the Storage Space (obviously I'm talking about in Windows 10) I had the exact space as advertised. YES, I know I'm not supposed to get EXACTLY 1.06 TB according to the total amount of storage but about 1 GB less is what I'm supposed to get. So why am I not receiving that extra 200-some GB - I don't know.

I can switch the 5400 RPM HDD and replace it with a 7200 RPM one. But it seems rather absurd to have 200-some GB, when it's supposed to be only 1 GB...

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So the question is. Should I try to correct the RAID Array, or use all the HDDs individually?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I would use all of the drives individually. The RAID 0 doesn't have the performance gains to justify the potential to lose all data on the drives if one fails. Are any of the drives already partitioned? If they are that might be why you aren't seeing all of the space.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure about any drivers already being patritioned, but I'll just use them all individually then and take out the 5400 RPM HDD to replace with a different 7200 RPM.

I might as well try RAID 0 again with the replaced 5400 RPM HDD.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube