add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade soon?

Adrew24

18 months ago

My current rig has an i5 6400, a gtx 1060 3gb, and 8gb of ddr4 2133mhz ram. I plan on playing graphically intensive games at 60fps 1080p. Mostly Star Citizen, Battlefield V when it comes out, and other FPS games in the future. So, should I upgrade soon?

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

No real need to that combo will serve you well for 1080p@60fps for some time still.

You may have to turn down some eye candy settings but that would be about all in titles that overuse VRAM but to be fair most of those titles are DX12/Vulkan and they play better in DX11 mode anyways.

I would save your money and either put it towards more games and enjoy the now, or open a bank account and save it for a later date when your current build no longer satisfies your desires.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If I wanted to start streaming/recording games via shadowplay/twitch, should I consider an upgrade?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are using shadowplay or NVENC the CPU performance will have very minimal impact on streaming quality, so there really isn't a need to upgrade.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

If you want you can do that for better system performance.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

You could upgrade to a 1070 if you'd like and a bit more ram.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube