add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wanting to Build a New PC for Tattoo Artist for His Shop

yveshe

18 months ago

I don't really know what PCs would one require to operate in their shop, but supposing it's like any other shops, then just need a PC for web browsing and also having a second 4K monitor for the customers. And there's no budget because of not knowing which parts would be the best, but entry-level of the latest and greatest would be best to choose from.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a cool request, but I'll have to make a few assumptions: 1. Tatoo artists need to do some light graphic design 2. High-resolution multitasking with two monitors is a must 3. You want a price within reason :P 4. Some of your needs will require something a little more than "entry level" 5. You live in the United States (please do not take this as a stereotyped assumption) 6. You want to do little tweaking (no configuring your design software for a few extra frames, overclocking, etc.) 7. You will considerable storage to store pictures of their work, etc 8. PC looks are not a priority 9. Optical drives are outdated, and ethernet>wifi 10. You do have all the peripherals (mouse, monitor, etc)

Secondly, I want to apologize that my research is not very deep, and you may find some other components with a higher price-to -performance ratio.

Here is a build that should be under $1200 after tax and without peripherals:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor $178.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $89.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.79 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card $289.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $95.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $18.49 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1162.99
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $1102.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 15:30 EDT-0400
  • 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for taking the time to make the build! That's quite the build, too, but not what I was opting for. He really only needs an average-user PC.

1. I'm not sure and haven't looked into what programs he use to take tattoo examples and edit them on the computer, but I'm sure it's nothing heavy. A quad-core CPU will do the job. I was thinking maybe the i3-8100. It's priced at $100-$120 in my country, where I plan to purchase the components.

2. Oh, no. He's only having his second monitor because he's using it for the customers to watch YouTube/listening to music in the background to show the screen and whatnot. He'll either make dual-screens or duplicate.

3. Well, I thought maybe $500 will be enough.

4. Needs like what? I only planned on getting the i3, an H310 Motherboard, 8GB of memory, a GT 1030 - to have a quality GPU for both monitors and I guess the basic usage, and a 120GB SSD for OS and programs. I haven't even checked on his current PC to determine if some parts are still usable, but assuming they can be usable, I can extract the HDD and use the current case. PSU on the other hand is something worth considering; whether getting a new case + PSU, or a PSU individually.

5. I don't live in the U.S., unfortunately. I actually even asked him if he wouldn't have a problem ordering components aboard, but he said he would prefer have the PC done now and have a warranty, if something happens.

6. This more or less sounds like one's patience, so he hasn't talked about any of that because he doesn't know or aware of any of that, so I think he'll be fine with what he has - as he always had.

7. That's true. As I said above (and I actually thought of getting a 240GB SSD instead because it was within the budget I thought was reasonable), a 120GB SSD for OS and programs will do a fine job, but I don't know what the current storage he has and if it's still usable. And I don't even know if he saves any work of some kind. We'll have to look into that more once he contacts me.

8. You damn right it's not. The PC will literally stand on the ground behind the counter.

9. I think he has an optical drive already, so whether he will need it or not we can still use the current one. And if I recall correctly he uses Ethernet.

10. Yup, he's got it all.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

Thanks for the input! I read these updated needs and I've tweaked the original build and made the budget $500 before tax. You can definitely pull the hard drive or maybe even the OS from the old computer. About the Ryzen processor, it should come with good enough integrated graphics to beat even a gt1030, with its insane price-to-performance ratio. Also, I still went with 16 gigs of RAM because of your dual monitor setup.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $94.59 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $149.99 @ Newegg
Storage Inland - 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $50.00
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Case Logisys - CS136BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply $29.86 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit $0.00
Total (before mail-in rebates) $399.43
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $384.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 17:47 EDT-0400
  • 18 months ago
  • 2 points

That's even better!

Currently, I picked the 2200G, changed the Motherboard to Gigabyte - AB350 Gaming 3 because it's decently priced in my country and has four DIMM slots, so I picked 2x4 instead of 2x8 because if he'll need to upgrade to more memory he could do so. Prices for memory are as bad as they're currently worldwide. And I still need to consider whether to get a bigger SSD or 120GB.

So these are all the components I'm opting to get so far, but it's up to him and his budget (if budget isn't an issue) and whether we can (and will be best) to reuse old components. I even need to ask if he'd like to purchase Windows 10 (I think he has a licensed Windows XP, so that's out of the picture).

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points
  • The PSU that comes with the case is crap
  • 2400MHz is too slow for AM4, try getting a 2666MHz+ speed kit.
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with you. However, if he is really trying to save money, a 2400MHz wouldn't choke the system that much. (I am open to suggestions, correct me if I'm wrong) Adding on to this, a basic PSU such as the EVGA 450 BT would probably work better, and still be quite affordable (~$30 on sale).

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

EVGA 450 BT would probably work better,

That isn't a good PSU

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA's PSU unfortunately aren't available. Either I get a new case + PSU, or get a PSU separately from Corsair or SeaSonic since they're the only brand available.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

2666MHz or above aren't available and would cost the same as lower speed. So it isn't worth it, nor irrelevant for the main usage. 2400MHz will do a decent job at operating the PC regardless.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $132.49 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot - Viper 4 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $85.98 @ Newegg
Storage PNY - CS900 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $39.32 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.79 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $42.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.99 @ Adorama
Case Fan be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87.0 CFM 120mm Fan $8.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87.0 CFM 120mm Fan $8.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $688.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 23:34 EDT-0400

Knowing your country would help a lot for pricing,

• Ryzen 5 1400 offers 4 cores and 8 threads. This will help for what he's doing now and what he may do in the future.
  • Basic motherboard. Nothing fancy.
  • 8gb of fast RAM, as having fast RAM is nice.
  • 2tb HDD and a 120gb SSD. Trust me, having an SSD is night and day and makes the system much more snappy.
  • GT 1030 because Ryzen 5 doesn't come with an iGPU
  • Simple non-flashy case.
  • Solid gold rated PSU. A quality PSU is recommended if it's going to be constantly on.
  • Windows 10
  • 2 be quiet! fans to replace the crappy case fans. Should help the system be a little more quiet.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube