add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Drift Streets Japan review; why? no reason at all

ThriftStoreRaider

12 months ago

The probability is that only a few people on this forum, if not only a few people in general, have heard of the five dollar Steam game named Drift Streets Japan

Brief history- DSJ was developed and published on Steam by JDM4ik games some time ago; you can check out JDM here at his blog: https://jdm4ikgames.wordpress.com/

The community of DSJ was boosted heavily by The Slap Train, a popular icon in the racing/drifting gaming community to some. The game was sent to Slap, and he did a video on it in 2015. His followers saw an opportunity for a cheap and fun game, and purchased it.

My history-

I purchased the game in late 2016, while there was some activity on the online servers. The servers had little to no issues at the time, usually due to the fact that only 5-10 people would join each server. There were only about four servers active at once.

So here are my opinions on the game; As of now, it can be deemed dead. The servers are rarely active, and you can use third party applications (like the windows preinstalled "regedit" command) to boost your progress in the game. With the adjustment of some really basic and easily accessible values, you can set your in game cash to never run out. This seemed to have been the key fault with this game that made it boring for many players, let me explain something:

To progress in the game (make money really) you needed to drift. The longer you held a drift, the more points you would rack up, and the more money you would make. It was a tedious and long lasting process; a grind. Tedious progression like this can be seen in many games, because it forces the player to continue playing in order to reach their end goal. However, with the easy ability to cheat the system, it removes the tediousness. So you just cheated yourself a million dollars; well over what you need to buy every car in the game. But what now? Now there is no more progression and the game is boring.

Another fault in my opinion is the really sad selection of cars, each of which have inconsistent customization. Only a few out of the dozens of cars in the game can be upgraded with bodykits, and these tend to be the ones that everybody uses.

The controls in the game are interesting. If you are aware of how to drift, then you know you need to countersteer. If you don't know what that is, I won't explain it because it can easily be looked up. In a nutshell, the game countersteers for you, essentially removing all skill required to slide around corners.

The physics are also messy, and in multiple instances I have tapped a guardrail and been sent flying into the atmosphere. I assume that this does not have much to do with the developer, but instead the game engine.

Finally, going back to the community. It's dead. Mods are no longer being made, and the forums are very dry. The verification process did not work for me at all, and this was a step in being allowed to use mods. I was trying to get some mods to maybe spice the game up a bit, but I couldn't.

The game is obsolete for many more reasons, including the lack of major updates such as maps, cars, and upgrades.

In conclusion, DSJ was a game with great potential; there were no DLCs or in-game purchases, which was refreshing for a cheap racing game, but this no longer matters. Spend the money somewhere else. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube