add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Rifle/Sniper Rifle for Hunting and Target Practice

yveshe

19 months ago

Come to think of it, I always liked the Blaser R93 Tactical. Unfortunately, though, production ended last year and I don't seem to find the weapon anywhere. So if I'll have to give up this dream, then I'm sure there's something else out there that's even better.

And then there's also the caliber that will be used.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 3 points

Remington 700 is a solid rifle. Their variant that's chambered in .338 Lapua can reach out and touch a target from 1000+ meters. Or, if you have to go cheaper, the .300 Win Mag is also a good chambering.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-xcr-tactical

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I second this.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I sure love the .338 Lapua, which is the reason I opted for the Blaser R93 Tactical. But again, if the Blaser isn't available anymore, let alone in .338 Lapua, let alone is allowed to be used in both hunting and target practice in New York state, then I'll go for something else.

Maybe I'll opt for the Remington 700. Are you allowed to use or own any tactical models; army-wise, or they're only restricted for the army and not for civilian use.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

If they are restricted in your state, they have to identify that on their website. And, if you attempt to buy it, their FFL check will flag the state your in and the sale will be canceled. This actually happens a lot where I work. People try to order ammunition from New York all the time, and it get's canceled unless shipping to an FFL in New York for pick up. Same with California, and to a lesser extent other more restricted states.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll go read about it.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

This is a decent resource for seeing which laws are applicable in your state. It appears, though, that the only restriction on rifles in that it must be 16" or longer, which is a federal regulation on short barreled rifles.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I've also heard the same for shotguns. Anything shorter than 17" or 14/15" is already a violation.

Thanks for the link!

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

So from what I gathered or understood, you cannot purchase rifles and shotguns in New York state, or you can with/need a permit?

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Pffffft no one needs that high tech futuristic crap. Just buy a Russian Mosin Nagant for $200, swig some vodka and point the gun in the general direction of the animal you’re hunting, shout every Russian curse word you know and fire and everything living in a 32 mile radius will die, including your car, phone and minigun. :P

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

First check to ensure you are able to use a rifle for hunting in your area and not shotgun only.

And then there's also the caliber that will be used.

Giving current regulations its best to avoid military calibers but you want to stick with popular rounds so availability isn't an issue.

Hunting wise depends where you are in the country mostly wooded area's its hard to best the older 30-30 for availability and ammo prices.

If you deal with longer ranges 30-06/270. are decent choices popular so generally cheap and availible.

Things to avoid would be the 308/223/300 win mag first two are military rounds so heavily regulated and controlled, last because barrel lifespan is an issue for burn outs.

If you can get a older Ruger 77 its probably your best bet the action is as proven as it gets for larger rounds, smaller one of the Marlin 336 are hard to beat.

Going military or tactical is a quick way to attract unneeded/unwanted attention when hunting let alone are not usable in many states for that use.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

military calibers

There is no such thing. I mean, yeah there is NATO calibers, but anytime that European nations imposed laws that restricted "military calibers" private companies nearly instantly created basically identical rounds which weren't used by a military, so they were legal. I highly doubt the US will take any stances like this, mainly for the ineffectiveness of it. But, I suppose they could...But geez, there would be no 9 x 19mm Parabellum, no 7.62 x 51 NATO rifles, no 5.56 x 45mm NATO rifles (or pistols, we sell handheld single shot pistols chambered in 5.56 and 7.62 - I think it's stupid, lol). And, that's just to name a few that would be done away with.

Hunting wise depends where you are in the country mostly wooded area's its hard to best the older 30-30 for availability and ammo prices.

Yes, very yes. The 30-30 is a very solid caliber. Not very long range, but great at 0-300m (which is where most hunting takes place).

If you deal with longer ranges 30-06/270. are decent choices popular so generally cheap and availible.

Also yes. The 30-06 is tried and true. And, the .270 is essentially a 6.8mm necked up cartridge, which has great ballistics for hunting 0-800m. My favorite hunting rifle that I own is a little .270.

Things to avoid would be the 308/223/300 win mag first two are military rounds so heavily regulated and controlled, last because barrel lifespan is an issue for burn outs.

The burn out rates on these actually are not higher than other calibers. They have a higher fail rate due to the lower quality barrel linings used by the military (usually nitride, sometimes chromoly). It also has to do with the conditions and the number of rounds that are fired through military barrels. I've had my AR chambered in 5.56 for a little over 5 year now. Probably fired 10,000 rounds through it in that time, and have no noticebale warping or rifiling damage. But, I do clean my AR after each use.

If you can get a older Ruger 77 its probably your best bet

Yeah, definitely a good weapon platform. Also, keep an eye on the offerings by Mossberg. They are surprisingly getting more and more into the rifle market, and actually, have some really solid rifles.

Going military or tactical is a quick way to attract unneeded/unwanted attention when hunting let alone are not usable in many states for that use.

Not sure what attention you are referring to. Other hunters going to think your planning a coup d'etat in the middle of the woods? lol. But, you're right about the restrictions in many states. Best to avoid if that's your planned use and you plan on hunting in several states.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Speaking of rifles. Recently going through Kimber's website as I plan to customize a Custom Target II M1911 pistol, I also noticed they make rifles, and I choose a tactical model, chambered in .6.5 Creedmoor and .308 Winchester.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Tactical is no more than a marketing word. What you need to check for is what New York state determines to be an "assault weapon."

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha.

• 19 months ago
  • 0 points

I highly doubt the US will take any stances like this, mainly for the ineffectiveness of it. But, I suppose they could...

NY state has for quite a few years now.

The burn out rates on these actually are not higher than other calibers. They have a higher fail rate due to the lower quality barrel linings used by the military (usually nitride, sometimes chromoly). It also has to do with the conditions and the number of rounds that are fired through military barrels

1000 rounds was all I was able to get out of the one I had before the throat burned out rather upsetting since it was a Douglas barrel.

Not sure what attention you are referring to.

EnCon attention they will stop and search to ensure the weapons comply to hunting regulations since military style weapons are not allowed for hunting and have been banned in the state since 2013.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

1000 rounds was all I was able to get out of the one I had before the throat burned out rather upsetting since it was a Douglas barrel.

That really is disappointing. It sounds like a defect in the blank material, because that is quite rare, especially with a Douglas barrel.

EnCon attention they will stop and search to ensure the weapons comply to hunting regulations since military style weapons are not allowed for hunting and have been banned in the state since 2013.

So, basically, if it has any of these characteristics. Weak sauce. Funny thing is that in my state I'd say 30% of hunters use an AR platform.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

That really is disappointing. It sounds like a defect in the blank material, because that is quite rare, especially with a Douglas barrel.

Nope its pretty common for any of the larger Mag rounds that was the second barrel on that rifle my 8mm Ultra mag started showing wear at 600 rounds so I got out of long range rifles.

So, basically, if it has any of these characteristics. Weak sauce. Funny thing is that in my state I'd say 30% of hunters use an AR platform.

Here you can get a weapons charge and lose your hunting rights for life.

Always best to check local and state laws first.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Guess it's not an inalienable right.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I still don't live in the U.S. to determine this, but I do plan to live in New York City. So if you know any hunting areas in New York state, I'll appreciate that.

I see. So either go for a .30-06 caliber, or a Ruger 77. But what about any Winchester rifles, and I also found some videos about .308 Winchester being used for hunting? Or this also falls under whatever states' regulations?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

NY is very strict and near the city even more so.

Also I believe most of that area is shotgun only but you can find out more on that at the NY state Department of Environmental Conservation website.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if it's target practicing only, inside those room - if you know what I'm talking about?

And I'll check the website, thanks.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sorry, but I don't seem to find exactly what we were talking about. I think what I found was something regarding hunting seasons, and that's it.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Mannlicher, Savage, I prefer the model 700 mostly due to familiarity, but definitely bolt action for hunting. It may depend on what you're hunting, 270,300,308,30/30. 30ought6, all are popular for a reason, there's a lot more, but sometimes availability of quality ammunition can influence the choice, not everyone wants to hand load. As I've said before, my first choice would be the heavy barreled model 700 in 270 caliber.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll check out the last three companies. Never heard of Weatherby, though.

I think .300 Winchester or .308 Winchester will be my choice. I actually heard it's a lot easy to get ammunition for .300. But as for the weapon in question, I'm still digging into the popular brands like Remington and Winchester. I was also recommended the Ruger M77, but the rifle I had in mind is the Kimber Advanced Tactical SOC II (SG), chambered in .308, yet still plan on whether getting a Blaser rifle that is still in production, or perhaps even dig more into Browning.

But all this cannot be taken for granted until I find out which rifles and/or sniper rifles and specific calibers are allowed in the state of New York. I already got two websites provided and still need to check them out before confirming anything.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The subject comes up in the outdoor magazines every so often, field and stream, guns and ammo, etc. a quality rifle chambered for the use is the way to go. : )

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube