add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pinned Pins on Motherboard Question

yveshe

20 months ago

Finally I ordered the cheapest LGA 1151-based socket CPU to test a shelved Z170 Motherboard that accidentally had its pins pinned but probably had been fixed. So my question is, assuming the Motherboard will not work, which I believe something should be fried, I'm going to use one of my RAM sticks to (obviously) power up the Motherboard, to test if it work. If something doesn't work, will my RAM stick also go poof with the Motherboard and CPU?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't thing the ram will blow up, but if those pins affects the ram slots, then most probably the ram will not work at all on those affected slots. ;)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... memories do have a lifetime warranty.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

If the ram is functional, the Ram will not work, NOT because the Ram suddenly became faulty but because the signal from the CPU to the slots to drive the ram will be cut off. ;)

So, it those ram modules are indeed working on a different computer (so a different board) then you will not RMA the RAM, but the whole board.

(if you can't straighten the CPU pins to get the ram to work on that board in question)

That was the purpose of my reply earlier. ;)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN NOW.

LOL... well, then all's well, and here's to hoping the board's CPU pins are intact.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Good luck, i wish... ;)

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

They probably won't go up in a puff of smoke.

I've tried to re-resurrect a few dead boards and the CPU's, RAM, and all the other parts work fine afterwards. (These parts work fine when tested in another system)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha! Then all I need to do is pretty much hope the Motherboard has been properly fixed.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah.... that's it.

Install everything, cross your fingers, then feel that rush of adrenaline when you go to hit the power on button.

Then if does actually work, you'll have to check everything. Any time I have actually got a board to work again, there was always a bad/dead PCI-E slot or something else was wrong.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? Well, I hope in my case there isn't going to be another issue along - it's like killing cancer in one place but unfortunately spread to another.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube