add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I get your PERSONAL OPINION on SSHD's?

Starlana
  • 76 months ago

Hey guys, I am wondering about the Solid State Hard Drives. I think it gives around the speed of SSD's, with the capacity and (lesser) reliability of a HDD. Can anyone who actually owns/uses one let me know the pro's and con's? I am running out of space on my hard drive and will need something soon. Thanks guys! (also, letting me know what brands are the most reliable would be nice too).

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Almost all of SSHDD only have 8gb of Solid sate storage. this is almost nothing. it will still improve your speeds but i would suggest if you can afford it to buy a 120Gb SSD and a 1 TB HHD.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

My build already has a 120 GB SSD for my OS, and a 1 TB HDD, but my download speeds are so slow. With my HDD getting full quickly, I was thinking the SSHD might improve my download speed vs. a traditional HDD.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

downloads from the internet? those would not be improved by an SSHD. If you need faster internet speeds you should check with your ISP what package you have. Most standard packages are around a 20megabit download and 2 megabit upload. This translates to about 2.2Megabytes a second. If you are getting under that speed then the issue can lie in up to 4 places.

1. your wireless card or Ethernet port/driver. Make sure your ethernet drivers are up to date if you are using a hardwire and also your wireless card drivers are up to date.

2. Your router. This is very possibly the problem. Routers are almost always trash because unless you go out at buy one for 50+ bucks they will be flakey and low quality. Usually the issues are with connectivity not speeds tho. Make sure you router is 'n' type and also your wireless card. The tsandards can affect speeds. a,b,g are all old standards and are slow than n and 'ac' so if you have an a,b,g router it could be bottle necking.

3 modem. Most modems are provided to your by your ISP or you rent them. If this is the case you can always call your isp and ask if you can have a replacement modem and that yours is working slow or you have connectivity problems. Usually they dont ask questions they just send a guy out and give you a new one.

1. Your ISP. They may be the problem but that probably isnt the case. I would say the best thing to do is to make sure your router and wireless card are up to date and fairly modern, if that doesnt fix it, call the cable company and complain and they will try to come fix it. If you wanna get real brave you can even say you are cancelling your service for a different ISP and sometimes they will try to reduce your bill or up your speeds to that you stay lol.
  • 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your detailed reply. Here is my info: ISP is Comcast, not sure the package, I'll have to look into that one. I rent my main part of my uncles house, and he pays that bill. He has only one room on the main level, his office. Otherwise, he resides in the basement. Because his PC is hard wired in, I am on wireless. We didn't want to run a cable through the kitchen. :)

The modem is Cisco DPC3000 and the router we're using is mine, its a Belkin N600 DB Wireless N+ Router, model F9K1102v1. My PC uses the TP-Link (300 mbps) TL-WN821N (USB). I download at about 400-500 kbps. As you can see, this is an issue.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW, yes, if you're in the kbps range, I'd say it's time to get a new router. Even Comcast's absolute slowest service is rated around 6MBps but the strength and range of your router will affect that significantly.

Are you saying you're just recently experiencing slow download speeds? If it was fine before (AKA "fast") and now something has changed, your router or adapter is probably failing; start with router.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it has been this slow, but when it took over a day to download a single game for the umpteenth time, I decided it was time to find a solution. I am going to try the TP-Link power line connector, see if that improves my download speeds.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

modem and router seem to be fine...

now there are lots of other reasons that your internet could be slow, like other people using your bandwidth, could be in a high bandwidth area geographically, if you are torrenting anything then it could be a bad torrent with low seeds, or just having bad wiring etc. But i know i personally had problems with my USB wireless adapter. It would overheat constantly and be a major pain. You could try to use a PCI-e wireless adapter. But then again im not sure if thats the problem.

I would say the first step to diagnosing the problem would be to haul ur PC up to the router and plug it in the hardwire to see if you get better speeds. If you get better speeds that way you will know that it is either your router or wireless card. otherwise you know it is your modem or ISP. That way you can rule 2 things out before you buy anything or complain to anyone.

If the router/wireless card is the problem, i would suggest getting something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=powerline+ethernet+adapter&N=-1&isNodeId=1

it is a powerline ethernet adapter and allows you to run hardwired internet anywhere in your house where you have a plug.

Is cuts the wireless part out of it all together. Im not a fan of anything wireless because its hard to have consistent connection for competitive online games. And it is annoying in general when websurfing to lose connections. If the speeds dont improve from the hardwire id say call your ISP and get a new modem.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, that was totally my plan. If I can hard wire in, I call tell my wireless card and the router to eat it! LULZ

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the basis for your diagnosis that router and modem are fine, using Comcast and getting 400kbps (KILOBITS)?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally speaking, I feel they are overpriced and really only belong in the mobile sector where you may be limited to a single drive.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thank you for the reply.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

That's exactly where they belong, or in the trash.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

LOLZ

[comment deleted]
  • 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Have a look at a Kingston 240gb SSD read rate 555 write 515... Stunning piece of kit..

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll check it out. I have a Kingston 120 in my build right now.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I think wd have just introduced a new hybrid drive that has a large ssd (60 or 120 iirc) coupled with a 1tb platter in the 3.5" form factor, it's crazy expensive tho, like $200+ or something.

If it's your download speeds that are prompting this, deathfromup's post above totally nails it, a hybrid/ssd will have no effect on your speeds.

oh, that new wd drive is actually 2.5" and ~$250 -

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/WD-Black-2-DualDrive-SSDHDD-Hybrid-Review/

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd1001x06xdtl

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I see. It probably is my internet connection that is holding my speed back. I am going to get a TP_Link power line connector to see if hard-wiring in will help.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Could be a factor if your using a wifi connection I guess (mine's hardwired).

Maybe another option would be to check a speedtest & see what results you get, also depending on your source for downloads (... you know what I mean ;) ) your isp might be throttling your connection, I think there's other speed tests you can take to see if that's an issue or not.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahahaha no it's not (unmentionable bleeped out 4-letter P word). I'm a woman, actually. It's STEAM/ORIGIN GAMES BABY! LULZ.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not the sort of thing I was talking about... (jolly roger ahoy?)

I'd have thought speeds from those locations would be top notch, maybe it depends on how busy they are?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I really wouldn't know, :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube