add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A New Build for my Father

yveshe

22 months ago

So, my father has been using his PC for quite some time, I think probably over four years. I'm not sure what exactly he does, but I know he's mostly playing online (like browsing games) in his free time, and work on building a website or more, and also codes into hardware he builds for systems in vehicles. Now, I'm not sure what kind of PC this kind of usage requires to be good; after all, I never heard him complain that he has a slow PC, but knowing it's pretty old now, he only has 8GB of memory, no SSD, i5-4440, and I personally think it's about time for an upgrade.

Additionally, I have a few ideas for a build:

We have a Gigabyte Z170 Motherboard lying around that when it was purchased (back in 2015), its CPU pins were accidentally pinned. My father managed to, I assume, fix them, but we can't know for sure if it actually works because we don't have a CPU. That's why I want to purchase the Celeron G3900, knowing it's the cheapest CPU for the 1151 socket, just to test if the Motherboard works, and I can also take a stick of memory from my PC to obviously operate the Motherboard.

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

I mean, this could be overkill but it will be quite fast for his needs. He'll be blown away by the SSD itself. I do think 8GB of RAM is enough though. The only other increment you could choose is 16GB which is far overkill. I game pretty heavily and do light editing work and 8GB is enough. It's pushing it - but it's enough. Here's a build that would be pretty great in all areas. Can even game at a very reasonable frame rate with AAA titles if he chooses.

I'm not sure about the mobo you have. With the CPU around the $30 mark, maybe it would be best to go ahead and get a new $50-70 motherboard? I'm also not sure of the budget you're trying to hit with this build. If you drop the RAM to 8GB and downgrade the CPU to the Ryzen 3 2200G, it's easily a $500 build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $164.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $152.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $43.89 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $654.73
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $614.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-23 00:22 EDT-0400
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the build! I personally never asked or cared to bother whether my dad is on the Intel side or AMD's since he never used an AMD rig from what I've gathered anyway, and this build of yours is not overkill at all - other than the extra memory, I guess.

We have a shelved Gigabyte - Z170-HD3, and assuming that board will actually work, I figured maybe get him either the 6700K or the 7700K to make a powerful build in the long run. So that's why I want to get the $30 CPU, just to check if the Motherboard is good to go. Sure, maybe get him the simplest H110, assuming he doesn't care nor wants to overclock anything, I don't see a reason why not, but would still prefer to get a high-end CPU either from the 6th or 7th generation.

We don't have a budget because we haven't planned anything yet, and while he's quite the patient man he doesn't worry to get a new build; not until the current one will start to annoy him.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

No worries. Yes, I recommend just going with 8GB. It might be the same amount as his current rig however I'm sure that 3000-3200mhz ram is much faster than what he has so that will at least be a slight improvement as far as the memory goes.

Well I would say go for that then. The 7700K would be the best option for performance but it's also cheaper than the 6700K at the moment.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

My current memory are at 2400MHz, and I thought maybe give him mine since I want to start working on my future build, and I don't think he'll ever go to the BIOS to tweak something either, but just keeping it simple with the memory and at least having a powerful CPU in the long run.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

You seemed to have doubleclicked when posting this thread as there are two of them.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/271499-a-new-build-for-my-father

Also, my old 775 PC has 8GB of RAM and whilst yes it's enough to get most things done, to future proof your PC for lots of RAM hungry apps if it was me I'd get 16GB RAM.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

STUPID. Well... I'll just stay active on both of them.

Hehe! I just build myself a workstation based off the 775 socket, using a total of 8GB of memory. But yeah, I think it would be great to try and future proof a new build for him; assuming our shelved Motherboard will work, I figured getting him either the 6700K or the 7700K, and since I want to start planning my next rig I'll just hand him my current 16GB.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The 775 is End of Life (EOL) as far as I know, mine is coming on 9 years old and I've had a great run out of it. Pity I cannot buy motherboards like this anymore with the nvidia graphics onboard that can sli to a dedicated graphics card.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It probably is done for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube