add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So Let Me Get This Straight

yveshe

22 months ago

What is exactly is a computer technician? It's an individual who diagnoses, repairs, and advises on PC components, right? He has nothing to do with costumers' applications nor how to teach them to use a computer, right?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

I think the job description depends on who they work for and what specific services the company offers. For example you see some companies call their cx service reps stuff like Relationship Manager, Technical Support Agent, etc so it differs from place to place. The title is just a title, the company assigns responsibility as they see fit.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

According to my understanding, what I described in my description in the second sentence is a computer technician. What I'm wondering about as to whether it's related, why I was forced to try and download for a client something in which doesn't state where to download it and only work on its website, nor I actually know how to use it? It's not what I signed up to do; to agree to work in my current job. I thought I was supposed to build, install OS, diagnose, and repair -_-

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

It's not uncommon for a company to increase your duties beyond the original scope of hire. Not that it should be done, but they have every right to do so...because you have every right to quit.

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes ^

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I see your point. But again. It's not a company or I'm working in departments. It's a hardware store for PCs and Smartphones. My manager practically wants me to handle his business, with the exception of having to do anything with Smartphones because I simply don't like it, it's just absurd that I pretty much have to almost literally handle the store; work with costumers, in the cash register, handle merchandise, CLEAN, CLEAN more, with the exception of PCs.

So I made this discussion because it pissed me off to do something in which I don't think I'm supposed to do - which was finding something for a client that his freaking school was supposed to. I don't know nor handle applications. So I don't think it qualifies as being a computer technician either.

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

If you really do all of that, you should make it clear to your employer that you aren't willing to take on all of these extra tasks. But, don't be surprised if there is someone else that will.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Telling him that would pretty much force me to quit - which I don't mind either way. Not what I signed up to.

I'm not sure if I'd be surprised or not. The last technician that actually was phone technician and worked for at least two months, he wasn't doing ANYTHING other than his job. He was just sitting in front of the store's entrance and waited to help costumers about their problems, with his bad temper of not giving a damn about everybody, and once they're gone he's back on Facebook like the fat slob that he is, for he reminder of the day -_-

This summed up who he was. While I had to do most of the freaking work, not to mention he also made most of the floor dirty so I had to clean after him. And yet, not only he worked full-time, while I'm still working part-time, which is probably the main reason for wanting to quit since it'll take a long time until the manager would hire me full-time, but he (phone technician) also complained about the job, going nuts for not having work - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! And don't think the manager didn't suffer, he did as much as I did - but I had to do a lot more than them.

But I guess the worst part is that it's actually a private business. So selling a "gaming build which contains the locked i7-8700, GTX 1050 Ti, Toshiba HDD (I mean, everyone I see owns either Western Digital or Seagate - and during installation the Toshiba HDDs are quite slow in comparison) 1TB for more than $70, 8GB RAM, at least 240GB SSD that costs $100 - and they're from unknown brands, and not the best Cases and PSUs for at least $1500 if not more, that just makes me feel so bad; to think I might one day sell someone such a crappy build when they can get better for less.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Well like I said, your employer can assign tasks as they see fit, I've done plenty of work to help other departments at my current job and at previous jobs. It wasn't in my job description, but **** needed to get done, I had the time and knowledge to help, and if I ever need a favor from someone else, they're much more likely to help me in the future. If they gave you an assignment that should have gone to a different department or you don't know what to do with it, that's on you to say something.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I work in a store. I do a lot more **** where I thought I was going to only work on building, repairing, and diagnosing PCs and nothing more. Sure, the customer service would be helpful to everyone, but I still don't see, as you stated, why I was assigned to do something that I guess has nothing to do with a computer technician,

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

In my experience that's just the way things tend to go, especially in a retail/customer facing location. If you really have a problem doing things that aren't explicitly outlined in your job description, that's between you and your employer.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

To be honest, I find it simply as too much. And I quote:

My manager practically wants me to handle his business, with the exception of having to do anything with Smartphones because I simply don't like it, it's just absurd that I pretty much have to almost literally handle the store; work with costumers, in the cash register, handle merchandise, CLEAN, CLEAN more, with the exception of PCs.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is what it comes down to. When you are a employee working for someone else. That person can assign whatever task they want you to do. You always have 3 options.

1. Not do the task and tell them it is outside the scope of what you signed up for (more than likely resulting in lack of employment afterwards.
  2. Talk to them and explain in a tactful manner that you feel that what is asked of you is outside the scope of what you signed up for, and come to a happy medium (add that the tasks might get or have already got overwhelming).
  3. Do what is asked of you, and maybe soon you will be able to get a raise.
  • 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, it's definitely No. 1. I thought I was assigned to build, repair, and diagnose PCs. Not find and install programs for costumer in which 1. I have no clue of and where to find it and if that's what they wanted. And 2. It was something their school was actually supposed to provide, giving it's an application of some kind that their school wanted to have on their PC.

So I told my boss I don't know jack, and he kept forcing me to trying downloading it, which I guess I kinda did, but then again I was still looking at the screen as if it's a brick wall and not even knowing if I got the customer what they asked for. So that's annoying; to do something in which I wasn't assigned for, let alone doesn't supposed to have anything to do with me.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a general term that can mean almost anything... Very specific to the company your working for... Sometimes it's equivalent to a basic hardware tech, and sometimes it's customer support or Helpdesk for software, and sometimes it's designing a full solution for a factory with many custom systems built in... It is a title that means nothing because the job description changes drastically from one place to another (and so does the wage)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

What if it's something in which I'm not supposed to do, but perhaps one cosumter's school or workplace should provide them with what they need instead?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

What ya mean?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

My manager pretty much forced me to find something for a customer whom I heard is a student and it's something his school that is working on that the school teaches and wants their students to use.

So what I'm saying is, why was I forced to find something for a costumer in which their workplace or school should've done for them? And I was inditing on not knowing if I was doing what I was supposed to or not. I thought my job was repair, diagnose, and build PCs...

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

fetch quests happen in real life and RPG games alike lol.

If your not the boss, then pick your battles very carefully...

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll just try to qualify for three others jobs. At least in them I should do the job I was supposed to do...

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Just an fyi, a computer technician should know enough to fix hardware AND software related issues, so, wrong, it's not unreasonable to ask them to explain to clients how to use a certain software application.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

But my case wasn't a software related issue. It was simply something I didn't know how to get, and it's something that the costumers' school should've installed for their students in the first place. What if said costumers wasn't even satisfied, let alone wanted what he asked? I still take the blame regardless. Not a good deal.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason you're hired is because you're techsavvy, and your job, in essence, is to help those who are less techsavvy. Simple as that.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand, but what I don't understand is what I described. If we put it this way, if someone has a problem with their internet they should go their internet company, not call a computer technician, because they're in charge.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

You gotta see it from their point of view. They have no idea what's wrong or who to ask for help.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

But how if it's the customer's school that needs to provide them with their software?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube