add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my gaming pc build up to date?

Kurtwired

21 months ago

I built my pc a while back (about 1-2 years ago) but never really used it (such a waste I know). I wanna get back into gaming and was wondering if this build is still viable or if an upgrade is needed. This is my build:

Intel core i5-760 quad ASRock Z170 Pro4S MSI R9 390 G.skill Ripjaw 16 8gb x 2 2400 2x PNY 120gb SSD 1TB WD 7200 HDD EVGA Gold 650w Cooler Master Elite 431 mid tower

These are basically my questions to you guy:

1) is this current built in need of an upgrade If I’m playing games like gta5 or pubg with high to ultra high settings on? 2) is this current built in need of an upgrade If I’m playing games like gta5 or pubg with the medium-low settings on? 3) If an upgrade is Necessary, whT parts would you recommend I get?

Sorry for the long post, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

The i5-760 is not compatible with the ASRock Z170 Pro4S motherboard. Must be some mistake.

Based on all the other specifications for the system, it must be something else, like an i5-7600, or, it is not assembled so this incompatibility has not yet been discovered?

Anyway.

An i5-7600 + R9 390 + 16GB RAM is fine for modern gaming.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I’n gonna check the cpu as soon as I get home, It’s been assembled before and was functional so it probably isnt 760, But for some reason I have the box for the i5-760 laying around.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah it should be able to tackle some games, it’s just a bit weak on the cpu performance (-10% from the g4560).

• 21 months ago
  • 3 points

I think he meant to say i5 7600/k not i5 760 since he has a Z170 motherboard.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh yeah silly me xD. I was also wondering why he had a 760 if he built it 2 yrs ago.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case you’ll be able to run most games smoothly yes.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually have the i5-760 not the 7600

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything seems fine but what is your CPU? And how is that compatible with your Z170 motherboard?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel Core i5-6400*** is the correct CPU

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

That's better. And that's a non-overclockable CPU on a motherboard which allows for overclocking?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah lol I’m a complete noob, all i did was find all the parts, sure they’re compatible, then purchase.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you give me a recommendation for a cpu/gpu upgrade?

I don’t really have a budget but I’d like to pay the least amount possible for them. Doesn’t have to be the best or latest ones, just slightly better than the i5-6400 and Radeon r9 390 is good enough. Also I’d prefer an nvidea card. Thanks a bunch if you can do this for me!

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You could go for an I5-6500 or I5-6600k as they share the same socket with your current processor. Your R9 390 is still a great card today, although power consumption is greater than its relatively newer counterparts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube