add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Did am4 bios`s and stuff got updated enough to make the ryzen 1 work on very high ram speeds?

octa-wow
  • 24 months ago

I want to get a ryzen 1600 and some gskill 3200 mhz ram single rank dual channel and make it quad channel in the future. I want to know if ryzen can support it without problem in the present.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 3 points

I want to know if ryzen can support it without problem in the present.

Overclocking beyond the stock supported speeds is always a matter of luck of the draw, the only speeds guaranteed to work with Ryzen is at most 2667mhz in one single ranked DIMM past that it falls on the specific CPU's luck with silicon lottery.

Without actually testing the specific CPU with the RAM in question there is no wat of answering that question with any accuracy.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

so i should buy 2400/2666mhz ram (total of 4x4 , in the present ill get 2x4)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try for at least 2666mhz.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

ok i have some 3200mhz on my wishlist single rank

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

See if you can download your mobo's RAM QVL from its website. If you want something (almost) absolutely guaranteed to work at the listed speed.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thx . I already know what to get btw.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Scaling drops somewhat after 2667mhz for normal Ryzen past that point you generally gain more from dual ranking then faster single ranked DIMMs.

Problem seems to be once you get the Infinity Fabric clocking fast enough the performance limiting shifts back onto the cores so more access begins to mean more then faster speeds.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I want to get a ryzen 1600 and some gskill 3200 mhz ram single rank dual channel and make it quad channel in the future. I want to know if ryzen can support it without problem in the present.

The Ryzen memory controller has 2 channels. There is no way to "make it quad channel" in the future.

I think that planning on installing or eventually upgrading to 2 ranks per channel is a good idea in order to enable rank interleave.

With 2 ranks per channel installed, in separate DIMM's (4 X single ranked DIMM's), the officially supported speed for a Ryzen memory controller is 2133.

Successful overclock to 2400-2666 is likely. 2800 is feasible but will be more hit and miss. 2933+ is unlikely.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry , i meant 2 sticks per channel , i know its max dual channel.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx this is good info

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

So its sacrificing speed for gb's.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Sacrifices some speed for both more quantity, and more interleaving support.

This is a double edged sword with Ryzen,

AMD CPU architectures are sensitive to memory access performance (average latency), and in real-world workloads, gain significant access latency performance with rank interleave.

In past architectures with AMD, memory speed/bandwidth was of very little importance to performance in and of itself. Best results usually occurred with mild speed overclocking, but with rank interleave supported and tightest possible timings. In workloads that stay within a single core complex on Ryzen, this is still true. However, Ryzen's "infinity" fabric, is "linked" to system memory speed, so anytime there is significant intercore communication for a workload. Ryzen suffers from reduced memory speeds.

I suspect that with Ryzen, big picture its probably still best to try to get rank interleave enabled, but perhaps use looser timings to push for highest possible memory speeds.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw some test of the 2400g on youtube with 3200mhz ram and the frequency of "vram" was 1600

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw some test of the 2400g on youtube with 3200 mhzMT/s ram and the frequency of "vram" was 1600[MHZ]

Fixed.

and, yes.

"double data rate" memory is frequently mis-characterized as having the same cycle speed as the number of transfers per second. This is incorrect. DDR4 3200 runs at 1600MHZ.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

oh yea thats logic(not joking) forgot ddr3 1600 works around 800

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I threw in 16gb of ddr4-3400 by g.skill(rip jaw series) in my 1700x rig. Using a Gigabyte Ab230n. System auto recognized ddr4-3200. Wasn’t able to go to 3400, butwasnt a big deal.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

was your mobo specs saying something like 2666mhz/...../3200(oc) i mean over 2666 that it needs oc? if yes than i can get my 3200mhz gskill ripjaws v series

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

well i got the msi x370 sli plus

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 3200(OC)+ Mhz

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes your board supports OC up to ddr4-3200. BUT its not a guaranteed, it's also dependent on the CPU. Not all AMD CPU's are alike.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an R7 1700 with the Asus Prime B350 Plus, which I got on launch day. I'm running an 8gb dual channel kit & a 16gb dual channel kit, all Corsair LPX 3000. It currently runs no problem at 2933 with all 4 sticks installed, & has been able to do so since about August. The most recent BIOS update has more frequency dividers & lists 3000 as an option finally, but the board still won't do it. Maybe in another few months, it'll be there.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok , and btw some(i think most) b350s can overclock good maximum the 1600.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

But like for 10-20$ difference is it worth it 2400 to 3200 ram?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

My chip is stable to 3.8GHz on this board, but since it's primarily a workstation, I generally run it stock. The memory is set at 2933, as the infinity fabric really benefits from fast RAM. I think the 1600 might do better on this board, as it's not as hard on the VRM as the 1700, plus I think I probably lost the silicon lottery, Never tried it in an X370 board to verify that, though. As far as RAM speed goes, most tech bloggers seem to agree that 2933 is the best bang for the buck speed with Ryzen. Above that, the performance gains are really small. 2400 to 2933 is definitely worth it, though.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube