add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anything New Regarding Cannon Lake/Tiger Lake/8C/16T CPUs?

yveshe

24 months ago

I should be patient about it but I'm dying to know what will be coming out already!!! Not to mention nothing much about Nvidia's GTX 1100/2000 either - but that's another subject.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 4 points

For the past 3 years, Cannonlake has been getting delayed at the rate of 1 year per year. So at that rate, it will be quite a long wait. :)

As much as I would love to be proven wrong, I wouldn't bet on it happening this year. And if it does, it'll probably be a paper launch for tablets and not the overclockable ones for builders.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Not going to be any leaks or anything since everyone had to take all planned designs and revamp them to fix the exploits.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a long wait. AMD CPU refresh soon also there APU's on the horizon. Nvidia GPU end of year if not next year. Intel CPU mobile end of year, desktop most likely 2019.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I believe Nvidia should be coming out with volta this summer, it'll have to compete with 7NM Vega which I'm sure volta will beat, but the 7NM VEGA should be better than a 1080 ti, so Nvidia will be forced to maintain the performance crown. Personally though, I'm really excited about APUs and Zen +, the APUs will help people hold out until GPU prices come down, and I personally will be upgrading to a Zen + CPU because I'm going to be giving my 1500x to one of my friends, so I'll end up going for a R5 2600/2700. So yeah, on the current market AMD's the one with all of the momentum, although Nvidia is still far ahead, and intel is starting to fall behind (especially with intel's 10NM CPUs, rumors have it that single core performance is actually lower on those CPUs).

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

One of the more disappointing elements to the roadmap announcements at AMD’s Tech Day was about graphics, and specifically Vega. To put it bluntly, there are no updates from AMD coming to the consumer desktop graphics market in 2018.

In previous roadmaps, AMD stated that it would be using a 14+/12nm process node for an update to its Vega design. At the Tech Day, that part of the roadmap no longer existed, and in its place was the announcement of a 7nm Vega graphics processor to be sampled at the end of the year.

This announcement came with a lot of questions, specifically whether 7nm would be ready for Q4 2018. AMD clarified its remarks by saying that this product will not be aimed at gamers, but will be a version of Vega specifically for machine learning, and they expect only to be sampling select customers with early silicon at the time.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm/9

There is no Graphics Updates coming from AMD this year. And 7nm Vega may not even be consumer market focused. AMD is taking a break from the Graphics Market.

They also clarified that Ryzen+ is the same architecture only switching processes.

AMD has categorically stated that the core microarchitecture underneath has not changed: we will still have the same front-end and back-end as Zen, with the same size caches and the same layout. What has changed will be some of the power management algorithms, and perhaps some tweaks to the neural network-based prefetch algorithms.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12233/amd-tech-day-at-ces-2018-roadmap-revealed-with-ryzen-apus-zen-on-12nm-vega-on-7nm/8

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, that's sad that vega is delayed, it means volta probably will be put off even further as well... Part of me is disappointed because I wanted to replace my R9 270 with one of the next gen GPUs, although another part of me is glad that I can keep mining on my GPUs without difficulty going up. Oh well, we'll just have to wait another year I guess!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

With AMD ceding competitiveness until 2020 at the earliest Intel cannot get into the discrete graphics market soon enough.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube