add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with Convincing

yveshe

22 months ago

I found this sweet deal from a seller who sells his two years old i7-4790K for $230 + $25 for shipment worldwide.

Now, my brother has an almost-four years old i5-4690K, and while I don't know what's the current stats of his CPU nowadays; if it can still handle games properly; any noticeable bottlenecks (paired with a GTX 970). I feel like it's worth a steal and I really want to upgrade his CPU, so that he won't have to worry for at least the next two years.

I kinda freaked him out when I told him he should get a new built. But then again, I pretty much supplied him with some excellent components for his purposes for the meantime, that all that is missing is that CPU that I want to give him, and a great aftermarket cooler.

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

If all your brother uses his computer for is gaming, then don't bother. A 4790K isn't a meaningful upgrade in that case.

If you can find a better cooler than the one your brother currently has, you can still give him that.

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

I back this up. Many games need high single-threaded performance. Spending $255 wouldn't allow higher FPS in most games (unless the game is really looking for 8 threads, instead of 4). So most probably it would be a waste of money.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, then. I guess I should just get a better cooler. That old stock one doesn't do any good nowadays...

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It keeps the CPU from overheating, but if you need it to run in Turbo mood for a long time or if you want to overclock it, get a better cooler definitely. :)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Already decided it on getting the CRYORIG H7. Do wonders for me, all right :)

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... he did say he'd prefer to get a laptop to work in, in the future. So that didn't require to waste more money on practically getting a new rig.

So, while all he does is, in fact, gaming, in his computer, then I guess I could get him a better CPU Cooler. What do you think of the CRYORIG H7? I already own it on my 7600K and it's doing a hell of a job.

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

The H7 is a very good cooler.

If you want to use a bit of the money that was going to go to that 4790K, Cryorig also has the H7 Quad Lumi. It's an H7, so you get the same performance, but it comes with lots customizable LED lighting.

Assuming your brother's into that sort of thing. If he isn't, you can just buy it for yourself and give your brother your standard H7. :p

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... I might just do that. I got a side panel window anyway, while he only has half, and he doesn't even notice the PC as it's below him.

I was wondering between the H7 Quad Lumi and Deepcool's $40ish RGB air cooler. In terms of performance, which one would be better, the CRYORIG or the Deepcool?

• 22 months ago
  • 2 points

Like the Quad Lumi, Deepcool's Gammaxx GT is simply their older Gammaxx 400 with RGB LEDs added (plus some other minor changes).

I can't find any directly comparative benchmarks or analyses, but they seem to be about the same in terms of performance. In that case, the choice between the two depends on which of the two visual styles you prefer and if you're willing to pay a little extra for the Quad Lumi.

• 22 months ago
  • 3 points

Not sure if I'd call that a "sweet deal" ....

The i5-8600K, which is better than the i7-4790K in any workload, sells brand new for $256 from online retailers, and as low as $200 in a motherboard combo at microcenter.

Personally wouldn't pay more than ~$150 shipped for a used 4790K.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I kinda freaked him out when I told him he should get a new built.

Meaning he doesn't work nor has the money for a new build. Of course a new build would be perfect, but it wouldn't kill anything for at least $300 worth of a high-end CPU for THAT time, and an aftermarket cooler.

• 22 months ago
  • 4 points

I'm just saying, it doesn't make sense to overpay for the upgrade.

Sure, an upgrade to the i7 isn't a bad idea, but that chip isn't worth $255 shipped.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I know. It was already settled in this entire thread that I'll just get him an aftermarket cooler, because while his CPU is four years old, so is that awful stock cooler from Intel. Gonna get him the CRYORIG H7, as I happen to own it myself and it's a great cooler.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not really an upgrade for the amount of money it would cost.

Okay, let me rephrase that: it is not a significant enough upgrade to justify the cost.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690K/2384vs2432

There is 0 reason to spend 255$ on a new cpu for an older chipsets, for such a marginal difference.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Like others have said. Since the upgrade isn't worth it, it's still better to just invest on an aftermarket cooler, which is what I'll do.

I'll just get him the CRYORIG H7 since it's an excellent cooler, and I own it myself.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. Best-case scenario, I can just shelf it and whether he, or anyone else, or I might as well end up selling it myself - at least something will come out of it.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

But he doesn't have money for a new rig. It would cost him at least $500ish for a new CPU, Motherboard, and RAM, when he doesn't have that kind of money. But since it's not a good deal anyway, to get the i7. Maybe investing on an aftermarket cooler would be more ideal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube