add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
yveshe
  • 25 months ago

I got 1TB Western Digital Blue: WD10EZEX, and 2 500GB Western Digital Blue: WD5000AAKX. Can I RAID all three HDDs so I can create a single 2TB drive, or only the 2 500GB?

Comments

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. You can. It's called JBOD (Just a Bunch of Drives). Your motherboard has to support it (only high-end motherboards do) or use Windows' feature to do it.

But why would you do that? If any of the drives fail, you may lose data. Why not just have 3 independent drives?

It's not like JBOD gives you any performance/reliability bonus.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

High-end Motherboards such as the Z-series, or what's beyond 100-series from Intel, for example?

I figured maybe three HDDs combined into 2TB as a single drive wouldn't be such a bad idea. After all, they're just HDDs. Obviously I don't gain anything other than the extra storage combined into a single drive - that's my purpose. So what if I just combined the 2 500GB HDDs, so that I'll have 1TB for whatever, and another 1TB for whatever?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Your likelihood of drive failure with a Raid Zero is doubled so what I would do is run your two 500GB drives in Raid Zero and use your 1TB drive as a backup drive for the Raid accompanied with some good backup software like NovaBACKUP PC. I've used NovaBACKUP PC before and it's very reliable.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

What if I use the two 500GB HDDs for games and the 1TB for other stuff? That way, if something happens to the two drivers it wouldn't really matter if something would happen to the games.

• 25 months ago
  • 2 points

That would be good too, in fact that's probably what I'd do.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Good then :)

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

And how do I manage to do that? Can I do it during the OS installation, or there's a program for that?

• 25 months ago
  • 0 points

Sure, RAID 0 has higher data loss chance that single drives, however, this is not what Yveshe was looking for. S/He was looking for combining drives so they would look like one physical drive:

Can I RAID all three HDDs so I can create a single 2TB drive

So that's not RAID 0, that JBOD. RAID 0 with 2 x 500 GB drive will yield a single 500 GB drive (with faster access speeds).

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

RAID 0 does not lose half the physical storage space... that would be RAID 1. (i.e. mirroring) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

RAID 0 on the two 500GB drives would give him a 1TB combined size and the performance benefits while reading/writing. While also having no fail over, but if its for game installs then it doesn't seem to matter much.

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

So scratch the JBOD and go RAID 0 on the two HDDs - since they'e going for games anyway, for the sake of not losing data or anything important?

• 25 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks (again) for the correction.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube