add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i7-4790K After the Kernal Memory Update

yveshe

23 months ago

How good is the CPU?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 3 points

If you aren't a large datacenter, it's as good as a 4790K before the update.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I see.

It's just that I want to build my brother a new rig - and while he currently doesn't work, but he'll have to sooner or later, maybe I ought to upgrade his rig; CPU, RAM, SSD, PSU, rather than an entire new rig.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So I assume your bother already owns a Haswell system? What are the specs of his current system?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/78zdjc - minor the second dual-channel kit, SSD, PSU (and this isn't the PSU I'm upgrading, by the way), and the extra 2 500GB HDDs.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that build is still pretty good. I'd just upgrade to a 4790k and run that for a few more years. No reason to upgrade to a Coffee lake or Ryzen unless you need the extra cores for some reason.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I advised for Ryzen because of work, but my brother insisted on getting a Laptop for that, maybe Mac or something, and have Intel for gaming. But if he still doesn't have a budget for a new rig then we should just upgrade the CPU and an aftermarket cooler, along with an SSD and perhaps a better PSU.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD and NVME take a 15-20% hit in performance. Not too big of a difference as it sounds. For example a 60 gb file transfer might take 2:30 mins before and is now 3:30 mins after the update, small difference but it is there.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't sound bad to me, if it's only one extra minute of waiting.

SPEAKING OF WHICH. I'm probably going to get myself a NVMe - probably for a great price, and I'm on Kaby Lake. If I were to transfer a 60GB worth of a single file or files, how long would it take?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Not bad for consumer but you can see how bad the performance hit can be for servers which are transferring millions of gigabytes an hour.

Those nvme get some crazy speeds. The 960 evo is rated for 1.9 gb/s so real life would probably be 1-1.5 gb/s? About 20-30 seconds, probably.

Btw, Samsung was king of SSD but aren't really that much better than the rest in nvme. So go for a big name brand nvme that is within your budget.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

The Samsung PM961 is currently priced as similar or cheap to an 850 EVO, so that's a steal if I don't get one. Tomorrow I should get a price tag for it. If it's not as bad as it sounds then I'll definitely get it. If it is, there's a stored WD Green 250GB SSD in the shop I work in. Should I get that one instead (not for me)?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

BIOS update - before the computer boots to Windows? Whatever "F" it is?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It's an ASUS Z97 K/CSM. Assuming (because i haven't checked) that there is a BIOS update driver in the drivers' selection, can I just do it that way?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it a problem then? Would relying on Windows will be enough?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube