add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Laptops Question

yveshe

23 months ago

Are there any non-gaming Laptops that come with an SSD + HDD combo and a gaming GPU?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

(Probably should be in the Laptops subforum.)

What exactly do you mean? Are you looking for a laptop with the gaming grade GPU, SSD, etc. but not the 'l33t g4m3r' aesthetic?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops. Thought it didn't exist, hehe.

Yeah, something like that. Basically think of a Desktop Intel - Pentium-based build, with a GTX 1050 and 120GB SSD.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe something like the Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-84ZP? It depends on your budget, but I'd say start by looking for:

• 8th gen Intel CPU (If going for a smaller laptop, these added cores down the low power stack and are fairly impressive)

• Nvidia MX150 (basically a GT 1030) or higher

Narrowing the search down like that should return a lot of options, then just ignore the ones with the gamer aesthetic.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks pretty good! Hopefully the price is fair in my country as well.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you want to use it for?

If you are not going to run games or any graphics intensive applications the integrated graphics chips suffice just fine, so no need for any dedicated GPU (let along a "gaming" GPU).

By the way, I hate that everything is branded "gaming" these days. I could game on my 20 years old PC yet no one was calling anything gaming. It's just a new tag to make things sale better. (The other overused word is "bottleneck"...)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I was asking my sister if she wants a new laptop, because she's mostly away with her current ones and hardly uses her desktop, and I'd like the HDD on it.

Practically it's just for browsing I guess, downloading, music, and maybe game on it a little bit. She has Sims 4 so I thought about a "gaming" GPU, as you put it. And an SSD just to run things faster.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Most recent integrated graphics in Intel CPUs can run SIMS on medium graphics. So if you want to save money, and she's fine with medium graphics on 720p, a GPU is not a must. :)

You can google the SIMS version she plays with various integrated graphics, e.g this or this video.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, when she played on her desktop she had a GTX 640, so I'll find the comparison between the two later

What about an SSD?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows is ****.

My girlfriend has a laptop she uses sometimes (a few times in a month). It has a HDD, and usually, she can't use it properly for 15-30 minutes after turning it on. Why? Because Windows is utilizing the storage 100%. Anything tries to read/write gets in a queue and that makes the laptop totally slow (even though the CPU is used only 5% and the RAM is less than 50% utilized).

I tried to shut down separate services on her laptop that uses the storage to its maximum utilization, but that's not enough all the time. Having an SSD would result in these storage bottlenecks to be less frequent or last for a significantly shorter time.

On the other hand, if someone uses her laptop regularly, these problems would also be less frequent, as I'm pretty sure, due to the infrequent usage, every time my girlfriend turns on her laptop, it tries to check for viruses, download updates (not only for Windows) and what not and all of these stress the HDD...

So shall you get an SSD? If you're going the budget way, you can get away without one. If you want her not to have any issues, you should probably get one (but then get a laptop with a GPU as well :D).

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So it's either a "gaming" laptop or a simple one with HDD issues?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Laptops".

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The dell XPS 15 is one non gaming laptop with gaming hardware

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube