add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which Build Is Better for These Purposes

yveshe

23 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $276.87 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $29.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z370 HD3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $118.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $184.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ B&H
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $0.00
Power Supply Zalman - TX 700W ATX Power Supply $0.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Other Random Case Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $795.62
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $785.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-24 05:45 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor $224.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $29.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $90.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $184.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $84.99 @ B&H
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $0.00
Power Supply Zalman - TX 700W ATX Power Supply $0.00
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Other Random Case
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $725.73
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $705.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-24 05:46 EST-0500

So I've learned from my brother that while he likes to game very often, he also likes to record music and wants to start streaming. Knowing the new i5s and i7s have more cores and threads, I wanted to know in comparison which build would be suited better for these three purposes.

He already has the MSI GTX 970 Twin Froza, an Optical Drive, an unknown brand Case which I think I can manage with the cable management of the PSU from Zalman I'm currently using that I'll be giving him, and that's pretty much it. Ignore the budget of these builds. The main budget is between $950-$1000 in my country anyway.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

What's your opinion on Ryzen and why do you think it could cause issues compared to Intel?

I'm giving him my PSU so I could get myself a better one. Yes, this PSU is a pile of trash and my review about it says everything, but I think it would do the job with the current GPU at hand that he has. Unless I just return it (which that garbage can of a PSU costed me $100) and then I can get both of us great PSUs. Speaking of which, he currently uses those non-modular 500W PSUs; like Huntkey and other unknown brands.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I see... well, he would want Intel anyway, even though I think the R5 1600X is just perfection pretty much for everything at a lower cost. So does it mean it's safe to overclock to 3200Mhz without any issues?

I always wanted to go with Corsair. I was thinking of the CXM/TXM series of PSUs. It's just a question of how much wattage do I need for both of our builds 550/650W, and they're both priced between $75-100, depending on the wattage.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't want to cheap out on the TXM, though. The Gold Certification of it says enough. And giving if I'm going with the Intel build all the way it's twice as better than my current build, giving the 8th gen i5 and the 3200Mhz speed - and I think it's pretty big for overclocking that would eat some wattage.

So I'm thinking maybe I should get myself the Corsair TXM 550W, and get my brother the Corsair CXM 650W - because of the CPU and RAM and both PSUs are about the same price in my country. I only pay like $2 for 100W more anyway.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

500w and above go gold rated or higher, on lower wattages, bronze is acceptable.

None of that determines the quality of a unit.

Take the EVGA B3 for instance. Over 500 watts, bronze, but it’s a total fire hazard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube