add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a stronger power source for my current build?

Refmon

27 months ago

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zffZsJ

I have this build right now but ran an old 660 so there was no power issues. With this 1080 that I'm going to pick up soon is this something I should worry about?

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine but i would recommend checking the wattage it takes to power the card that you are getting !

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

You will need a new one because your GPU needs a new cable.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there a way to buy the cable alone?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt it would be compatible because there would probably be nowhere to plug it into the PSU if it isn’t modular. Is so, it could work. Buy one that works with the brand and kind.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

A 650w or 750w would be ideal. If you can't afford a PSU upgrade right now, run your CPU at stock speeds and don't run any GPU overclocks and you'll be fine, but I would be looking to upgrade soonish. 80+ Gold PSUs seem to be much more affordable these days so I would consider one at least 650w to deliver plenty of clean power to your new 1080!

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Your build will be just fine. It’ll draw around 300 watts with a 1080, though I don’t known if that PSU comes with all the cables necessary to supply power to the GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube