add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Turning a Reference 1070 ti into a open-loop hybrid? Also, tube size for hardline tubing?

Kendozin

24 months ago

So I plan on doing a custom loop here soon (with hardline tubing), and I wanted to keep the reference design of the 1070 ti I'm getting here soon. I've seen where people will modify the GPU shroud to add in a water block, and I was wondering if there were any water blocks (only fir the GPU, no need for the VRAM, as the cooler that comes with the card will work with that) that anyone knows is compatible. I saw a video with a video card like I want it, but they did not list what it was.

Video Link: https://youtu.be/_ySQXgahw8I

Time stamps for the video card: 3:05 - 4:27

Also, if anyone could tell me what size of hardline tubing would be best for a custom loop with a 360mm Radiator and an i7-6700k + a GTX 1070 ti (Founder's Edition, of course), that would be very helpful. Also, I am building in the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX Case, so just keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

what size of hardline tubing

It does not matter. (Reference)

I would just use a full liquid cooler cover on the GTX 1070 Ti. But if you want to do the DIY, then I guess you have to come up with your own solution. :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

It does not matter.

To an extent it does. The small the tube the lower the flow rate and the higher the pressure. So this could affect the pump motor.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Please read the article I've linked.

As long as the pipes have at least the same inner diameter than the regular G1/4" fittings (9-10 mm) you are bottlenecked by the fittings, not the tubing.

Tubing with an inner diameter less than 9-10 mm is not really common. So I guess the article by EKWB is right: tubing size doesn't really matter.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I had read it but I don't think it fully set in. I suppose that would be true with any fitting that had an interior diameter smaller than the tubes. But, truly thinking it out this is all moot because the water block interior channels are far smaller than even then narrowest water cooling tube diameters.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the water blocks tend to be not as high, but they usually are broader. So the height x breadth might be the same as the fittings cross-section. Or not, thus the water block would be the bottleneck.

Nevertheless, going for a tube with a wider diameter would not increase water flow or cooling (due to other components would be more restrictive anyway).

By the way, I have no Ph.D in fluid dynamics, so I can only rely on those who are working with these things or have the right qualification, or at last resort I can apply common sense. :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, I would recommend just going the traditional route and going with a full cover GPU waterblock. If you decide to go the route of only installing a GPU cooler, I haven't personally looked for anything like that, but in my experience watercooling, if it doesn't exist on this site you're going to have a very hard time finding it anywhere else, particularly when it comes to odd DIY project materials.

As far as tubing size goes, I usually adapt the size of the tubing to the size of the case. Since you're building in an mATX case, I would recommend a smaller tubing size, like 12mm or 13mm OD.

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks! I'll take a look on that website and see what I can find.

I am thinking I will probably go with 13mm hardline tubing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube