add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen 3TB HDD support?

tydowntyty

24 months ago

What's support for 3TB (and higher) HDDs like on Ryzen?

BTW the PC in question has a B350 chipset.

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Should be no problem. All Ryzen motherboards have UEFI. In order to boot from 3 Tb or larger drives:

1 - Must be booted in UEFI mode, rather than CSM (aka legacy BIOS mode) 2 - Must use a 64 bit OS 3 - OS must be installed in UEFI mode

For 3 Tb drives to be formatted and for all the space to be usable, they must be initialised with a GPT partition type, rather than an MBR partition type which is limited to 2 Tb. To use a 3 Tb drive as a data disk only, it doesn't matter if the OS is installed in CSM mode or UEFI mode.

To install Windows in UEFI mode, you must ensure the OS installation media (the DVD or USB stick) is booted in UEFI mode. The most certain way to do this is to disable CSM/legacy mode in the BIOS's boot menu.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't put mine together yet, I'm building a Ryzen 5 1600x with X370 board, I'll have 2x 3TB on the unit so I'm not far off from what you're attempting. As far as I'm aware Windows 7 and up support 3TB drives these days. None of the reading I've seen on my ASUS board leads me to believe there is a support issue. On the contrary I'd feel like AMDs have more hard drive support especially with RAID support than the new Intels do out of the box.

If you find out there is an issue let me know, that would kinda suck...

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

Tell me how it turns out! I'd love to hear!

I was asking because I knew that my computer with a FX processor has to have some type of driver installed in windows for full 3TB+ support.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I'm aware it's fine. Why wouldn't they be supported? AFAIK CPU can't tell the difference between a 160gb and a 10tb drive.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I back this up. I don't think the CPU has anything to do with storages. The driver of the storage installed on the OS does.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

the CPU can't, but the chip set, and particularly the SATA controller may have some limitations. That said I think the modern chipsets will all support 3TB drives.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I had my 8 TB HDD with my LGA 775 motherboard working just fine under Windows 10. :)

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

While the OS is a possible limiting factor; however, the MOBO also plays a role, short version the MOBO will need to be using GPT rather than MBR to initialize the disk. If you want to boot from the large drive you need to have a UEFI compatible board.

Further reading on the topic https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2581408/windows-support-for-hard-disks-that-are-larger-than-2-tb

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

That's useful. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube