add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Buid - Reasonably good £2000-2200 Build

dommonk28

21 months ago

As my first build, I’m looking to get the best parts available for anywhere in between £2000-2200 (at a push)! I’m looking for something which will be able to achieve well above 60hz at 1080p (I realise I could probably do this at 1440p but I’d rather a smoother experience than a higher resolution. I also would like all of the rgb internals to be synced using asus’ aura software. I’ll attach the part list I have made below.

CPU - I’m split between the i7-7700k and the i7-8700k. I understand that due to most current games not taking advantage of more than 4 cores and with the higher clock rate on the i7700k may mean that’s better for gaming at the minute (debateably) but that long term, the coffee lake i7-8700k may be better. I’d hope the i7-7700k would be good enough for the next year or few, but that’s just me hoping to save a few hundred quid!

CPU Cooler - The auraflow 240 seemed the logical pick, with Asus aura sync available and being a far better “bang for buck” than the NZXT kraken coolers (as I was after a liquid cooling unit).

Mobo - Went with the Z370-F gaming as its £50 less than the Z370-E and really isn’t that different. Also the inclusion 2 5050 Rgb headers is great.

RAM - at £30ish less than the Corsair RGB ram modules, the Gskill trident z DDR4-3000 seemed a much better choice (I also personally think it looks better). Plus it is aura sync ready. The lighting syncs via the DIMM so that’s also a bonus.

Memory - Needed a reasonable HDD and SSD as I will be using the pc for technical work with high memory requirements.

GPU - Really like the look of palit’s Super JetStream cards, and the 1080 seemed a good match for me. I have read however that if I use the i7-8700k instead of the i7-7700k, my gpu will bottleneck my processor and I would be better off with a 1080ti (which I don’t really want to do). If anyone could shed some light on this it’d be much appreciated.

Case - I love the look of the aurora and the fact it’s aura sync capable really appeals to me. No external drive bays but I have a usb disk reader so installing my OS shouldn’t be a problem (I hope).

PSU - Was after something efficient and more than capable of powering my system, the CSM 750 should definitely do this.

Case fans - Originally wanted some Corsair fans, however they aren’t able to sync to asus' aura sync software and so instead I’ve gone for the cooler master fans. I have 2 rgb headers, I’m no sure how best to connect the liquid cooling and the 4 fans between these 2 headers, as I’m not sure what amperage the fans/liquid cooler uses and what amperage the mobo can put out. Or if I needed to use a rgb splitter, I don’t know which way would be best to do this. Again, advice on this would be gold dust.

Monitor - as I will be playing both multi and singleplayer games, I wanted to be able to run 1080p at over 100hz for a reasonable amount of time (I realise the more games are released the more taxing they will be on my gpu) - hence I went for the AOC G2770 which is a more than reasonable price.

Peripherals - I’m not that fussed about syncing my peripherals to Asus aura, I’d rather have the best available in my price range.

Mouse - Struggled with this, ended up going with the ROG Gladius II as I liked the look and its been well reviewed. Very open to suggestions on this.

Keyboard - As I was looking for a keyboard with mx brown switches, macro keys, dedicated media controls and usb pass through, the k95 ticked all the boxes. I’m also a massive fan of their rgb software. Would be open to other suggestions I guess.

Headset - Looking for virtual 7.1 with good sound quality and if possible (I’ve had Astro a50’s in the past which were tinny and not very good directionally - I’m selling these). I did originally look at the new Razer Tiamat v2’s with 10 speakers, but I don’t really want to have to buy good sound card - so a usb connected headset with a good built in card would be great. I ended up going with the new kraken 7.1 chroma v2’s (only the first kraken’s were available to be picked on here) as they’re very well reviewed and aesthetically pretty nice. Also looked at the SteelSeries Arctis 7 but not sure they would warrant the extra cost for me.

Any suggestions are appreciated, if I’ve missed something (which I wouldn’t be surprised at) feel free to put me right! Really appreciate anyone who takes the time to help in whatever way they can - I’ll hopefully be building this between Christmas and February.

Cheers!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor £433.48 @ BT Shop
CPU Cooler ID-COOLING - Auraflow 240 RGB 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £59.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £147.18 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £160.00
Storage Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £73.58 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £68.34 @ Aria PC
Video Card Palit - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Super JetStream Video Card £491.92 @ More Computers
Case BitFenix - Aurora (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £88.88 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair - CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £82.98 @ Ebuyer
Case Fan Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Pressure RGB 35.0 CFM 120mm Fan £17.50 @ Novatech
Case Fan Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB (3 pack) w/RGB Controller 42.7 CFM 120mm Fans £59.99 @ Novatech
Monitor AOC - G2770PF 27.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor £259.50 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM UK Wired Gaming Keyboard £181.97 @ Amazon UK
Mouse Asus - ROG Gladius II Wired Optical Mouse -
Headphones Razer - KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA 7.1 Channel Headset -
Speakers Creative Labs - Inspire T3300 27W 2.1ch Speakers £43.47 @ Amazon UK
Other Chair £59.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £2227.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 20:50 GMT+0000

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

CSM is a lousy unit. Get a G3 SuperNOVA or Bitfenix Whisper. Considerably better units.

Avoid Razer products. Their recent products have severely dipped in build quality. I can attest to it.

I suggest a better SSD. Usually, you don't notice SSD speeds, but that one is very notably slower in comparison to others. A different model is recommended.

That's A LOT for a Keyboard. I would get a better mouse. That one is good, but the G502, Glaive, and Scimitar are better mice. I suggest those. You can just get a simple RGB Strafe from Corsair. Still a fantastic keyboard.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Where did you read that a 1080 would bottleneck an 8700K? I don't think it would do that. They are both great components. If you can get an 8700K, get one. That's my suggestion anyway. Also, if you are going to be transferring a lot of large files or turning your system on and off a lot, I would recommend getting an M.2 SSD, most likely a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO because they are quite fast. Windows boots really fast on those drives, although it may not make much of a difference to you. I switched from an old 5400 or 5900 RPM drive to a 2.5" SSD and the difference in speed was amazingly fast. I've heard switching to an M.2 can be really nice, even from a 2.5", although it really depends on what you are doing. If you don't do a lot of video editing or work with large files, I would just switch the 2.5" to an 850 EVO and call it a day. Hope your building process goes well and in short time!

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

...I would recommend getting an M.2 SSD, most likely a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO because they are quite fast. Windows boots really fast on those drives...

M.2 is just a form factor. NVME is the fast SSD, but it won't be boot any faster than a SATA SSD due to PCI Initialization. An average user has no use for an NVME SSD. Only content creators would benefit from its speeds.

Where did you read that a 1080 would bottleneck an 8700K? I don't think it would do that.

Bottlenecking is 100% situational. It's not a yes/no thing. There may be some instances where one bottlenecks the other. There may be instances where it's not as apparent.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so taking on board both of your advice best I could, I’ve come up with this.

I know it’s ludicrous for a keyboard, but as I’d be after the cherry browns and the rgb strafe, its only £11 more - I think my hearts set on the madness, don’t ask me why!

I’ve gone for the scimitar, looks much better than the Gladius II. In terms of the headset, more than happy to avoid Razer - do you have any ideas on alternatives which have what I’m looking for? Happy to spend 180-200 between my mouse and headset probably.

Thanks again!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor £433.48 @ BT Shop
CPU Cooler ID-COOLING - Auraflow 240 RGB 74.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £59.99 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £147.18 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £160.00
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £84.97 @ Amazon UK
Storage Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £68.34 @ Aria PC
Video Card Palit - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Super JetStream Video Card £491.92 @ More Computers
Case BitFenix - Aurora (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case £88.88 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £99.95 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Pressure RGB 35.0 CFM 120mm Fan £17.50 @ Novatech
Case Fan Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB (3 pack) w/RGB Controller 42.7 CFM 120mm Fans £59.99 @ Novatech
Monitor AOC - G2770PF 27.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor £259.50 @ Aria PC
Keyboard Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM UK Wired Gaming Keyboard £181.97 @ Amazon UK
Mouse Corsair - SCIMITAR PRO RGB Wired Optical Mouse -
Headphones Razer - KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA 7.1 Channel Headset -
Speakers Creative Labs - Inspire T3300 27W 2.1ch Speakers £43.47 @ Amazon UK
Other Chair £59.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £2256.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-13 21:34 GMT+0000
  • 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Corsair VOID Pro is an amazing headset. I have it and it's great. I can wear it for hours and feel no discomfort because it goes around your ears on not on them.

Your build is only going to draw around 350-400 watts. Just get a 550 watt unit. It's enough.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

That’d be perfect for me. My A50’s encapsulate my ears but I just don’t find them that comfy over extended periods.

Yeah, it’s estimated to draw anywhere up to 444/450 I think so I’ve gone for the 550W G3 Supernova. Thanks for your help, seems like I’ve managed to slot in some good upgrades and actually saved on the build!

It’s probably best I do some more reading up on the whole motherboard amperage situation and how best to connect my internal components with rgbs up to the mobo - I’m thinking of just going for the i7-8700k as its actually £30-40 cheaper than what’s quoted on here.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes definitely don't get the Kraken from Razer. It is complete garbage. I know, because I have it. I like their mice and keyboards, but I've gotta say their headphones suck. The sound quality isn't that great, and neither is the mic. The headphones are actually quite large as well and feel quite heavy when compared to other headphones. If I am wearing them for a long period of time they tend to give me neck cramps and sometimes back cramps. Anyways, just don't get the Kraken.

xd

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube