add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What ram specs do FM2 / FM2+ mobos like?

losse

68 months ago

Voltage?

Does it even matter as long as its DDR3?

This will be with an A10-6800k. Does cas and other stuff really matter that much as far as performance?

This will be on a HTPC using only the APU for graphics.

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for more info. For graphics, faster RAM will have an increased performance, as your iGPU will use system RAM instead of dedicated RAM. CAS does not matter as much as frequency in APU applications using the GPU, there is a noticable boost using DDR3-2133 compared to DDR3-1600, but only for integrated graphics.

Your A10-6800k OFFICIALLY supports DDR3-2133 maximum. However, if your board supports it, I would get DDR3-2400 so you get the most out of your iGPU. Remember, you can always downclock, it is always harder to overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32400c11d8gab

This would be a great choice.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Should I just get 2133 ram since I have this board? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128659

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably. I don't think you can overclock to 2400.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f32133c10d8gab

This would be a good choice, but if you're willing to pay $5 for a potential speed boost (although it probably won't work), go for it.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2400 will just downclock to 2133 at worst probably right? After I go into bios to get it past 1600?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep, it will. At the very worst, you will probably only get 2133 MHz.

Also, please use the "reply" button under my comment so I can know when to come back to answer questions rather than revisiting this post. Thanks!

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh, ok thanks for pointing that out. Im new to these forums and those little grey words didnt stand out LOL. Will do.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

2400 will work with some fiddling. I suggest FM2+ and Kaveri, the price/performance difference from Richland to kaveri is significant. I own a 6800k and saw a Kaveri in action. I can say it is very well done. Not enough that I would upgrade to it but if it was available when I built my machine, I would of bought Kaveri for sure. And yet, the performance we see will only get better when they launch their drivers. Mantle is one but I am scared for Mantle. It does offer amazing performance gain in gaming applications but what will be intel's response to it? If Intel starts their version of mantle in Q3, we will see a fight from devs on which platform to develop on and those poor devs will have way to much to look for.

Getting back to ram, Yes ram will make a significant impact. We see several FPS gain from 1600 to 2133. Especially if you will only use the integrated iGPU which you should do if you go for an APU. For the CAS, some say it does not matter so much, I would still try and get some low CAS modules.

Final word, good choice, I think an APU fits perfectly in HTPC.

• 68 months ago
  • -1 points

CAS doesnt matter, nor does speed. try to stay within 1.65 voltage range. 1.5 is the sweet spot :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube