add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1tb+ hdd suggestion?

lolkrayd

64 months ago

I am currently using a single 256gb samsung 840 pro and starting to run out of space. In the past I have used Western Digital and Seagate and had most of my Seagate HDD die on me, so I am going to stay away as my luck with them seem to be pretty bad.

So what are your recommendation for HDD under 100? Cavier Blue?Black? trying out Toshiba?

I plan on storing just large data on it mostly steam games.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

WD Caviar Blue is a good choice if you're looking for a 1TB drive. Otherwise, go for black

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

hmm, thanks for the suggestion will probably not get black, heard it was very loud.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

...and had most of my Seagate HDD die on me

Not surprising, Backblaze. If purchasing locally, the Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB is worth consideration since it's likely a rebadged Hitachi. The WD Black noise level is hardly noticeable if you have a quiet computer case. e.g. Nanoxia Deep Silence 2. Whichever hard drive you decide on, run the manufacturer's extended diagnostic test to ferret out any defects.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Backblaze's "test" wasn't entirely accurate though. Tweaktown

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

TechReport issued similar findings and they do not have the same conditions as Backblaze since they're not even in the same business nor are they affiliated with Backblaze. So that renders Tweaktown's arguments about housing and such moot. With that said, I did not mind that Backblaze reports had them housed in enclosures generating vibrations and such since in real life, accidentally knocking on a computer case while it's running would not be unrealistic. I'm guilty of doing that a few times since my primary system is located on the floor by my desk.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it wasn't just the housing. Tweaktown also mentioned that Backblaze buys the cheapest drives they can find, even known RMAs. But yes, Seagate drives aren't known for their reliability either

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I just bought a 1tb blue great drive, fast for a hdd and reliable :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube